Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this "surprise finding" on their dogs' bloodwork.
I recently brought Sofers into the vet for a short course of antibiotics since she was showing early symptoms of a skin infection (she had one last year and it turned out to be stubborn. She is a labish-houndish mutt 12 years old...working on 13 and in decent shape.)

We also did the full blood tests with T3 and T4 panels. She thyroid levels last year were on the low end, but not low enough to suppliment. Now it seems with the recurring skin issues and pot belly, and a T3 levels that's yet slightly lower - we should put her on thyroid suppliment for her remaining life.

But the vet also saw a Calcium level that was 12.0. She said that's the highest end of acceptable, but watchful waiting is appropriate under 13.0. She said levels like 15-16 are cause for worry and we'll just retest when we check the thyroid levels in a month. All her kidney levels were perfect.

Sofers had previously been treated for a nasal tumor that responded amazingly well to treatment. She has no sign of coming out of remission (no discharge, swelling/pain...good air flow etc.) But now I'm worried that the elevated calcium level is a first sign of a recurrance.

Anyone have any experience with this? Do you usually find elevated calcium first and then other symptoms if it is something more sinister? Or is it possibly that its just some odd metabolism thing linked to the thyroid, or maybe she was dehydrated (she's never been one to drink reccomended amounts - even during heat waves like this one.) Is it possible it could be diet related? She was started on Nupro for glucosamine and msm after the nose surgery to rebuild normal connective tissue. The suppliment is high in Calcium and vitamin D (which increases calcium absorption.) She is also on a one a day for the taurine and DMG which my vet likes to suppliment in old dogs - but that has a touch of extra calcium as well. I have read that calcium suppliments usually don't hurt because the kidneys just waste it out, but is it possible they are acting less efficiently?

Should I even be worried about this seeing that it was "high end of normal" vs "elevated?" I love my old lady and would hate to find out I'm doing something bad for her.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Blood levels can change day to day, but . . .maybe the supplement with calcium and D is too much for her kidneys now.

This article is really thorough, but it deals with hypercalcemia, not elevated calcium levels, so I wouldn't get too alarmed, especially since she's getting so much supplemented calcium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts