Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been eating Natural Balance lamb and rice most of her life and just recently I bought a new bag and she's had really smelly gas and diarrhea since. She's 7.5, 50 lbs, Australian Shepard/ border collie mix.

1) Has anyone else recently had a problem with this dog food? I've done searches and so far haven't found anything.

2) Maybe she's sensitive/allergic to lamb now?

2-3 years ago I tried switching her to NB chicken and she had almost the same symptoms, except that time she was also biting herself. So I switched her back to lamb and rice. And just a couple of months ago, I tried the bison and sweet potato and the fish and sweet potato and she had smelly gas but no other symptoms. I switched her back to lamb and rice and she's been fine since, until a few days ago when I opened a new bag.

So maybe she can't have chicken/eggs, sweet potato or lamb now? Does that seem likely?

Not sure what to do, I figure I'll try hamburger and rice for a couple of days and see how that goes and contact her vet and she what she recommends. She's been eating grass more too - but just some new grass in one spot. There's always a possibility she could have eaten something she found outside that's made her sick, every so often she will run down the street where my daughter plays and I'll catch her looking like she's eating something. Seems strange that the timing would be right when I've opened a new bag though.

Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Food could have gone bad or since you know she's sensitive to other ingredients, could be a cross-contamination problem.

I'd take the bag back to the store and get a new one from a different store (to try for one that is from a different production date)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I bought it from Amazon though, not sure how easy it is to return it. I was wondering about that too though, if some chicken could have gotten into the lamb.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Amazon maybe has issues with how they store/ship their products and if you got a bag that was sitting on the bottom of a palette and removed roughly it could have small punctures...I had the same issue with a bag of TOTW a few months ago and I see other people having similar issues.

Amazon will refund your money if you send them a message and let them know you think you got a bad bag. So will the company that does Natural Balance. Check the product code; if it's worn out you call amazon, if not you call the manufacturer.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Natural Balance has a satisfaction guarantee, you might get a quicker response from their customer service reps than from Amazon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Like I said, I had this issue and the production code was worn off and there were a bunch of pinholes in the bag. In that case Natural Balance won't be able to help you. That's why I said to contact them if the production code is visible. Amazon has very good customer service and will help you out. :)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Like I said, I had this issue and the production code was worn off and there were a bunch of pinholes in the bag. In that case Natural Balance won't be able to help you. That's why I said to contact them if the production code is visible. Amazon has very good customer service and will help you out. :)
NB's website does have a place to enter a formula and an expiration date to check that the batch was tested for quality. Contacting them directly also gives a chance to inform the company of a possible problem in the food (rather than a dog just being "picky" for example) and if they get multiple calls about the same formula, it may alert them to a cross-contamination problem.

It could be a damaged bag causing the food to go off (and if damage is visible that makes it more likely), but I'd be leaning towards an ingredient thing in this case just because of the dog's known problems with NB's other formulas.

I've had a handful of times that a bag appears to have a few pieces of kibble from another formula but if the kibble sizes and shapes are the same across formulas, then it can be harder to tell.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm only trying to reassure the OP that Amazon will refund them if there's something wrong with how the package was handled. Like I said, I had this problem with a bag of TOTW and the product code was worn off to the point I couldn't provide the batch number to the company. If OP is having THAT issue, Amazon will take responsibility.

Otherwise, I'm agreeing with you?????????????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replied back earlier, but for some reason my message isn't here.

Anyway, Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm planning to call her vet and get in touch with nb also. The product code is there and it is not expired.

Meanwhile, she's doing well with the hamburger and rice but its already getting a bit expensive. Can anyone recommend a good dog food I can get at petco that isn't nb and doesn't have chicken, eggs, sweet potato or lamb?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wellness simple, Nature's Variety, and Blue Buffalo have limited ingredient formulas you could try. (salmon) I know petco stocks those brands. There are others but again, petco.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Wellness is good. I won't feed Blue Buffalo, too many digestive problems reported and the dogs I offered it to refused it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I only say petco, because there is one near enough to me, I'm not sure what other places are nearby that would have other good foods to choose from.

I gave her wellness puppy 7.5 years ago and it gave her diarrhea, not sure if that would be relevant now though.

Hopefully there will be some smaller bags that I can try to avoid putting too much money into something new that maybe won't agree with her either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wellness also has a manufacturer's guarantee. You would want the "simple" salmon and potato or salmon and pea formula. For nature's variety you would want the rabbit or salmon formula.

If you can find a Pet Supplies Plus, they carry zignature which also has limited ingredient diets you could use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up getting her the Blue Buffalo salmon and pea. She's only eaten it once so far, but no gas yet. They only had wellness simple in really large bags, and I didn't want to buy that much. They didn't have nature's variety in rabbit or salmon. Only lamb, which I got too, so I can see if she really has a problem with lamb now or not.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I ended up getting her the Blue Buffalo salmon and pea. She's only eaten it once so far, but no gas yet. They only had wellness simple in really large bags, and I didn't want to buy that much. They didn't have nature's variety in rabbit or salmon. Only lamb, which I got too, so I can see if she really has a problem with lamb now or not.
Just kind of a word of maybe caution or advice-- personally, I wouldn't presume that any digestive upset from BB is due to the ingredients as allergens. I know that's talking down a whole brand, but when I watched both a starving shelter puppy and a gluttonous chow hound turn down the same brand AND a lot of other people report digestive upset with their dogs, it is worth considering that it might be the brand rather than the ingredients.

On the other hand, if she does well on BB, then all the better because you have another option to feed her and something that can be locally purchased.

If you find a brand that suits her and can go for the big bags, you can also consider ordering online from sources other than Amazon if needed since even without Prime, some places offer $49+ free shipping.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wouldn't order from amazon after my experience w/ them. I'd use Chewy or something similar. They're OK 98% of the time but getting the 2% of lucky bags really sucks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's had 3 meals now with BB salmon and pea no problems. So that will work if nothing else does. This morning I tried nature's variety lamb with her, so far so good. I'm really curious about this one - if no problems with this lamb, then the problem must be with the NB lamb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to add a quick follow up to this. Since I last posted here I've been feeding my dog nature's variety lamb and she hasn't had any problems. But it is very expensive. I would love to go back to NB lamb and rice but I'm afraid of throwing money away if she reacts badly to it again. I think I'll contact NB and see if I can get a coupon or something. I have no idea if that is possible or not, but I can't afford to throw away money on something she may not be able to eat either.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just wanted to add a quick follow up to this. Since I last posted here I've been feeding my dog nature's variety lamb and she hasn't had any problems. But it is very expensive. I would love to go back to NB lamb and rice but I'm afraid of throwing money away if she reacts badly to it again. I think I'll contact NB and see if I can get a coupon or something. I have no idea if that is possible or not, but I can't afford to throw away money on something she may not be able to eat either.
Most companies will send free samples if you contact them that will be enough to give her a meal or two and see how she does. But, it should be noted that really you should do a slow switch versus switching cold turkey, especially with a dog who has had stomach issues in the past. So you may be better off buying a 4 pound bag and switching over the course of 5-7 days, and then once she is eating 100% new food make the judgement as to how she's doing on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts