Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day after we brought our new Rottie, Apollo, home from the rescue, he was having nasal discharge and sneezing, together with some gagging motions. When he was first picked up by the humane society (before going to the private rescue) he was diagnosed with kennel cough, but the HS went ahead and had him spayed and shot full of vaccines so they could release him to private rescue.

At the rescue, he was apparently on doxycycline for the KC, but the rescue owner stopped the prescription once the symptoms resolved.

My vet gave antibiotics due to a slightly elevated fever and green nasal discharge. Apollo seemed to get better for a few days but then his symptoms re-occurred. At around the same time, he developed some stiffness/limping which I thought was due to overexertion (lots of walks, swimming, etc.). The limping also seemed to come and go... going from being almost nonexistant to very severe.

I took Apollo back to the vet today and she did a full TBD panel and the erlichia test came back faintly positive. She put him back on doxycycline for that.

We also had chest x-rays done, which revealed a cloudy spot in the lungs near the heart. The vet said it is likely either pneumonia or blastomycosis. She decided to start Clavamox for potential pneumonia and sent out a urine sample for the blastomycosis test.

I just called the vet and had them run a full blood panel to make sure all of his organs are in good condition before I start any of the meds. I'm currently waiting to hear the results of that.

Any thoughts/advice/experiences anyone would wish to share would be appreciated. I'm just freaking out a lot right now (mostly due to the internet research I'm doing). My poor Apollo baby... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought I'd update:

The test came back negative for Blastomycosis. Yay!!!

He was pretty stuffed up this morning, poor baby. We've been running a vaporizer at night and bringing him in the bathroom with us when we shower so he can get the benefit of the steam.

I've also been trying coupage (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pneumonia_management.html). Any thoughts on this and whether it's a good idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,946 Posts
Wow, I had no idea dogs could get Ehrlichia!

Several years ago I was working a job in the midwest where I was getting bitten by 10+ ticks/day. After a few months of this, I started feeling sick. The symptoms progressed so fast it was scary. A lot of what happened during those days is blurry, but I can remember a sense of extreme fatigue and a fair bit of dementia. The disease is fatal if left untreated.

You did the right thing by getting your dog some doxycyline - that stuff works miracles. And whoever made the decision to stop the antibiotics at the rescue (for whatever reason) obviously doesn't understand that a full course of antibiotics is necessary to kill off just about any pathogen.

Ehrlichia is a very strange bacterium because it attacks white cells - the body's immune system. Most bacterial infections result in a higher white cell count, but not this one. This can make the victim more vulnerable to other diseases, which may have led to the other conditions your dog is suffering from. Give the antibiotics some time to work their magic, and I bet you begin to see improvement with the other conditions, too, as your dog's immune system returns to normal. But because Ehrlichia attacks white cells and the body needs time to replace those, a full recovery could take several weeks/months. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,574 Posts
I am so happy to hear that it is NOT Blasto. We have had several of our rescue dogs die from that in the past few years. It does seem to hit Rotties for some reason. I hope that Apollo recovers from the Ehrlichia and Pneumonia quickly and fully. Poor baby. What a way to start out his new life in his new home. :(
At least he is being treated and soon this will all be a distant memory. :) Hang in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apollo is doing quite well on the meds. The respiratory issues seem to be just about cleared up. Unfortunately, the intermittent limping continues. It happens most often after he's played with Luna, then taken a nap/rest. When he gets up, he's stiff and limping.

Once we're done with the meds, I'll probably take him back in to the vet for further testing (x-rays, etc.).
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top