Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently saved a dog from a shelter. He's so sweet and full of life. His name is Barkley!

When we received him, back in October, they told us they guessed he was 18 months old and that he was a full piebald Dachshund.

After having him a few days, we decided that he probably was more like 8 months. He acts like a puppy in a lot of aspects and had just been neutered. We don't think he ever hit sexual maturity.

Despite thinking they were wrong about the age, we also think they were wrong about the breed! We think he might be PART Dachshund but not fully. Doing some research, we think he might be part Teddy Roosevelt Rat Terrier. We'd like some second opinions though!

I've had people INSIST that he is full weiner dog and that he's a bigger type that is rarer and more common in German. I haven't found a Daschund as big as him though!

So, please take a look at Barkley and tell me what you think! Experienced dog people, I need your wisdom!

Oh yes. And he's almost 30 pounds.
Picture 023.jpg
Picture 572.jpg
Picture 123.jpg

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He doesn't look like a Dachshund to me, at all. I don't think they come in that color/pattern. Maybe a Shorty Jack (Jack Russell Terrier)?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
actually that color is common enough in the pet lines and it is common enough to be specifically mentioned as a fault (maybe a DQ) in the breed standard. He is most definatly a purebred Doxie just of an unacceptable color pattern for the breed. And Yes Daschunds come in both a Mini and a Standard size, the standards can easily reach 30 pounds if they are a bit overweight and he looks like he is. Mini doxies are the more common size and when people meet my friend's Standard size Doxie they are shocked at how big he is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture 392.jpg

Picture 430.jpg

I'm not really sure, but I don't think he's overweight. He's super active, he's just a really thick dog.

Also, his legs are much longer than any doxie I've ever seen. Do you still think he's a purebred?

We did ask the groomer and they suggested mixed with a Jack Russell or Rat Terrier.

We love him no matter what he is. Still just super curious!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Well he does look like a bit of a chunker to me, but I like em' really lean. He could be mixed, sure, if you don't have DNA parentage verification you can never be 100% sure, but I'm just saying it's not at all a stretch for him to be a purebred doxie. If someone told me this was a purebred doxie I would never think to argue about it with them. I have seen plenty of individuals that are not picture perfect examples of their breed standards. I have even seen some dogs who if I didn't know thier exact parentage I wouldn't believe them purebred at all.

Simply this dog is well within the normal variance of type seen in pet quality Doxies.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
He looks over weight to me too, but my BC is lean so maybe i like lean dogs too, i just looked at the weight for a standard should be no more than 28lbs, so he is abit over weight going by that, i never knew they could get so big though.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep he looks a bit chubby, not horribly overweight but definitely could stand to loose a few pounds. You should be able to easily feel his ribs not a layer of fat over them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts