Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddee has his first bee sting ... I think. Dad took him outside and brought him back limping. He said he was in the grass which is basically clover around her ... and lots of bees!

I tried to look it over really well ... and I see no stinger or bite ... and then Eddee got mad (and I am sure it hurts) and bit my finger!

I gave him 12 mg of benadryl as he is 12 pounds. The swelling on his foot does not seem very large and he wants to keep biting it. I know it has to hurt!

Anyways it has been an hour and I see no signs of distress or unusual swelling anywhere else. His gums are pink and he is breathing fine ... and a bit groggy from the Benadryl.

I called the E-Vet because the regular vet is closed! Go figure! Always on a Holiday!

They would not give me any info on giving aspirin (real dog aspirin) and Benadryl together. All they could say was that it was at my own discretion as to what I do? Poor guys foot has to be hurting. :(

·
Registered
891 Posts
Aw, poor guy. Sounds like he's going to be okay in terms of reaction to the bee sting. I'm pretty sure that's something that presents itself fairly quickly. I'm always worried about overmedicating so if it were me, I'd probably just stick with the Benadryl & try to keep him quiet and off the foot for a while.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Make a paste of baking soda and water, apply a good amount of that to where you think he was stung. It'll help with pain and itching. Ive used it on myself more times than I'd like to remember. Bees dont like being kicked in the butt...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Aw, poor guy. Sounds like he's going to be okay in terms of reaction to the bee sting. I'm pretty sure that's something that presents itself fairly quickly. I'm always worried about overmedicating so if it were me, I'd probably just stick with the Benadryl & try to keep him quiet and off the foot for a while.
Yeah .... I decided to just stick with the Benadryl. He is up and sort of walking on it. He limps a bit and I was able to touch it a speck without him biting me this time. LOl! :) Wanted to be sure there is no stinger or anything broken .... you never know. He still looks OK. It has been an hour and a half now. I think he is not allergic.

You know me ... I tend to panic anymore ....... just too much bad stuff this year so far. :/

LuvMyAngels - I will most certainly put that baking soda on as soon as I can get a bit closer to that foot without him biting me. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The emerg veterinarian was right not to give any dosing information over the phone. In order to get that information you would be required to bring the dog in and have a physical exam done. There is no client-veterinarian relationship. If the veterinarian were to give that technician/receptionist that information to give you and something went wrong after administering it ... its that veterinarians licence on the line.

You should monitor him (I imagine you got the benedryl dose from Dr.Google) and if he does not get any better then I would suggest having him seen by a veterinarian sooner rather then later. I would get a safer antiinflammatory/pain medication from your veterinarian rather then trying to use asprin (which can cause bleeding or ulceration for example) if the leg continues to seem painful. You can try the baking soda suggestion but keep in mind animals may lick off any paste or ointment you put on so watch him if you do that to make sure he doesn't ingest it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The emerg veterinarian was right not to give any dosing information over the phone. In order to get that information you would be required to bring the dog in and have a physical exam done. There is no client-veterinarian relationship. If the veterinarian were to give that technician/receptionist that information to give you and something went wrong after administering it ... its that veterinarians licence on the line.

You should monitor him (I imagine you got the benedryl dose from Dr.Google) and if he does not get any better then I would suggest having him seen by a veterinarian sooner rather then later. I would get a safer antiinflammatory/pain medication from your veterinarian rather then trying to use asprin (which can cause bleeding or ulceration for example) if the leg continues to seem painful. You can try the baking soda suggestion but keep in mind animals may lick off any paste or ointment you put on so watch him if you do that to make sure he doesn't ingest it.
Thank you for your response. :)

I definitely understand the ER personnel not being able to give dosage or other info. Just wanted to be sure that everyone knew I actually spoke to the ER before posting. :)

He seems to be fine. He is now beginning to try and wrestle with Abbylynn ... If it were warranted I definitely would take him to the ER ... being his regular vet is closed for the Holiday.

Actually ... he just ran past me at full speed! Thank goodness! :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm allergic to bees. (As is my husband. It's hilarious when a bee gets in the house.) Trust me, any serious reaction will happen pretty much immediately. I'm sure it hurts, though, poor boy!

Note to internet: It has come to my attention that people think the epipen is a cure for bee stings. It is not. The epipen controls the reaction for 20-30 minutes- long enough to get to a hospital. The reaction itself continues for several hours, so once the epipen wears off, you'll be in danger of dying again. More than one shot of adrenaline (what's in an epipen) is dangerous and should only be done in an ER with life saving equipment readily available.

That is all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts