Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am new on this site, I have been breeding boxers for about 10 years. Took a break half way because of health issues, I started again 5 years ago. I purchased a beautiful American female, she is now spayed and living her best life here. I really wanted to get into breeding European boxers, I purchased a female puppy from a line of champions and health tested parents.

She recently turned two, I started her health testing. Hips were good, I went in to do an echo on her heart with a board certified cardiologist. This was the first time going with this vet. Right off the bat, she seemed very anti breeder. But I thought, I am paying for a service so who cares.
The results were not good, which happens I mean there’s no perfect dog. Well I told the breeder and he wanted to get a second opinion so I asked for a hard copy of the echo. As of now, I have not received it. I have called their office and they told me multiple times I would get it later on that day through email and never receive it.
So my question is, since they are being so shady would it be worth to get a second echo on her by a recommended cardiologist? Or should I just take the diagnosis?
I am very heart broken over this, she was a long time dream of mine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My sympathies, and I know about the heartache. I have right now a girl who comes from generations of Rottweilers with all the health clearances on both sides, yet she and 6 other puppies out of her litter of 10 had orthopedic issues. It was just a star-crossed cross so to speak. If you can afford it or your girl's breeder is going to pay, I'd be all for a second echo and opinion. It's important to you, and you're going to make a big decision based on those results, so you need to feel confident the practitioner knew what they were doing and bias didn't affect results or interpretation. For that matter if the result of a cardiac test was "not good," you need to know exactly in what way and what your girl needs to keep her as healthy as possible.

I'd also get tough to the point of nasty with the vet practice that's not coughing up the copy of the echo they did. It's not as if you're going to want to deal with them again, is it? Can you stomp into their office in person?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts