Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'll probably be pestering the heck out of everyone for the next month or two this is my first puppy sense I was a kid and I want to make sure she's a happy healthy girl but I will start with this question. I brought home my new puppy yesterday. A Dachshund, eight weeks old.....she does not seem to be eating very much. Could this just be from her coming to a new home. How much should I be expecting her to eat. right now she only eats a few bites at a sitting.....kind of grazing not sitting down and eating what I would think is a meal.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is what my pup did the first few days, until she worked out that her mealtime was when I put the food down.

I took it away after 15 mins, then re-offered it to her when I saw her look to where it had been, so she came to realise quickly that I am the food source. Also she preferred 3 slightly larger meals to 4 smaller ones... Same amount of food overall, just further apart.

Once I had her preferences sorted she was a happy puppy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! I'd love to see pics!

Are you feeding same kind of food that the puppy's breeder fed? Maybe you could try feeding some by hand?

I'm sure your little one will start eating as soon as the comfort sets in more. Again, CONGRATS! Puppies are hard work, but SOOOOO rewarding!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
First, for a happy, healthy puppy...get that little one into the vet for a complete checkup in the next day or two.

I've ahd foster dogs that went nearly a week eating almost nothing. Your pup will adjust. But first be sure she's healthy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She goes into see the vet this afternoon so no worries there...She seems to doing a bit better with eating so most likely just new home jitters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts