Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two male pups - Trooper, a 2 year old Lhasa Apso, and Bucket, a just-turned-one year old poodle mix. I'm having a problem with Bucket eating anything fluffy he is able to find. He has torn apart his toys and eaten the stuffing - when those were thrown away and replaced with more durable and non-stuffed toys, he tore up sections of quilts/comforters to eat the stuffing from those. He will eat the heels out of socks, the pockets out of t-shirts, carpet, kleenex/toilet paper, dryer sheets, and the list goes on and on.
Now, I take full responsibility for allowing him to have access to those items. I am now more aware of items left out, closet doors that need to be shut, etc. My problem is this: do I crate him all night when I'm asleep?? He is in his crate during the day when I'm at work - I hate to keep him in there overnight too. Is there any other option?
Other than blocking access to things he can tear up and eat, I've tried using bitter spray (on my blankets & carpets) - it hasn't worked.

Bucket is a small dog - he weighs less than 15 lbs. He is very energetic and craves a lot of attention. He has never shown signs of aggression, but tends to be a little neurotic and clingy.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions/comments/similar stories!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Harper, our 6 month old mini dachshund is a paper towel, kleenex, tissue, dryer sheet fiend! We've just adapted by making sure those things are out of his reach. But, he doesn't go after bedding or stuffed toys (knock on wood!).
Does he eat the bedding right in front of you, like at night when you're sleeping?
Maybe try a different bitter spray. We tried Bitter Yuk, which didn't work for us, but the Bitter Apple is great!
What if you give him his own fleece blanket? Or two or three? Harper is a burrower and loves to rearrange blankets, kind of dig at them. But, with small fleece blankets maybe your guy could chew and play, but wouldn't actually get any stuffing, because there isn't any! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every now and then he'll sneak a few chews on my bedding while I'm still awake watching tv or working in bed before I fall asleep - but most of his quilt eating must go on while I'm sleeping. I've tried not allowing him on the bed - that works until I fall asleep!
I don't think that the "stay away" bitter spray I've tried is sour apple. I need to try that for sure...hopefully I'll have better results.
The fleece blanket is a great idea! I've put one that I already had in his crate and I've noticed where he's chewed a little at the corners. He actually hasn't chewed/eaten as much of the blanket as I thought he would by now - maybe a little taste of fleece every now and then is enough to satisfy his cravings. :)

Thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
141 Posts
My bulldog is a chewer and speaking from experience, be careful what sorts of fabric items you let your dog chew~ my puppy has vomited up loofa dogs limbs/tails & other assorted pieces of cloth from stuffed dog toys. I've had to pull a long piece of fabric out of his throat~ he'd swallowed part of it, but it was about 10 inches long so he couldn't get it all down luckily. He also had a knotted rope toy that he was chewing-- he managed to undo one of the knots and was in the process of swallowing the loose strands when I caught him.
Needless to say ALL cloth/soft rope toys are gone now. He's got Kongs, hard ropes and other durable chew toys, but he still goes for cloth, dryer sheets, shreds any cardboard he finds, etc.. argh!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lots and lots of exercise and I am sure you know that plenty of good FUN things to chew on. You can use rope toys soaked in water and frozen as a fun toy. And if you catch him chewing on something he isnt supposed to, make a loud noise and see if you can trade a more appropriate toy. And then praise him like crazy for chewing on the toys he IS supposed to chew on.

And then again NEVER let him outta your sight if he isnt trust worthy. He needs to be crated or kenneled if he cant be left alone. I would worry about him getting something he could choke/die from.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would trust my Cavalier loose but NEVER my Clumber. Even with crating him when we are not present he has needed 3 surgeries to save his life after eating inappropriate things like a stick from the backyard eaten during a potty break, a sock lost under a bed, Velcro (we have no idea). We keep peroxide handy for the times we catch him eating something inappropriate and have used it multiple times.

He associates the kennel with goods things (peanut butter, dog biscuits) so scrambles to get in when given the command and will often put himself there for rest breaks. Putting him in a kennel at night isn’t a punishment to him but it is a lifesaving preventative measure.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I have a large Miniature Poodle that had to have a $1700.00 surgery from eating parts of toys that my big dogs had torn up. They had to open up her intestine and remove part of it that had a small ball stuck in it (where it came from I do not know as had never seen it before), then had to open up her stomach as she had the arm off a small doll in there. This was a dog that I never see playing with toys so luckily so far it has never happened again but I quite giving toys to my big dogs that they could tear up even though none of them had every tried to eat any of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts