Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our new dog Tucker has gotten into the habit of tearing and up Im assuming eating (at least it looks like it) the 'shrubs' in this picture:

greenery.jpg

it's a bad picture because it was SO bright outside...but they are the the ones lining the bottom and they are prickly like a christmas tree. My husband says the generic " If he is eating greenery or grass, his stomach is upset...just let him do it, it's natural." At first, I did...but he just goes SO crazy on it-plus I dont know if it's one of those plants that are poisonous to dogs!? (We live in a townhome complex too so the more he tears up we might start hearing some complaints from the landlord!)

I've stopped letting him eat it but he fights me-and boy is he strong!

Do your dogs do this too?? :help:

eta: i can go get a better close up picture if that will help!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Eating grass is a sign a dog's stomach is upset, azaleas (or whatever those are), not so much. I guess if they were poisonous you would have noticed by now- the uncontrollable, explosive diarrhea is a good sign. (My old dog, coffee grinds, over $1,000 in vet bills and a new rug. nuff said.)

Definitely don't let him eat the landlord's shrubs. I would teach a "leave it" command. Basically, you say "leave it" and entice the dog to you with a high value treat, like a hot dog. Eventually, he'll get the message that obeying you is even better than eating . . . is that lavender?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's not lavender...it looks like it in that picture though because it's taken with my crappy camera on my phone. I agree, he should be showing signs of upset stomach if it were bothering him (which he isn't) but it's still not a behavior I want to condone. Grass is fine and understandable, but ruining landscaping is different...it's just odd that he seems SO drawn to it... Here's a piece I pulled off...it's just loades and loads of this stuff:

greenery 1.jpg

I know it's small but I have YET to figure out how to make these pics bigger in paint without making them really distorted.

Thanks btw about Tucker! He's certainly got some quirks we are getting used to but is GREAT with our 2 1/2 year old Anna. Couldn't have asked for a better pooch :)

anna & tucker.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts