Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got a lot of different questions open out here right now, but I gotta find out what to do right?

We constantly find Noel eating things and chewing on things that I can't understand why she grabs... Basically concrete and rocks...

There's a portion of our backyard around the AC Unit that she has dug up and turned into her own mud pit... I can barely let her out back anymore because she keeps coming to the backdoor COVERED in mud (how many showers can you give a dog before you go nuts?)...

Well, I want to cover that area with rocks to keep her from digging in it, but knowing her, she'll just start eating the rocks, which just CANT be good for her or her teeth... Any idea how to get her to stop chewing on and eating rocks and concrete and other things of that nature?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Maybe make a sand pit for her to dig in? Fence off the area with electric fencing.

I had to have 8 small landscaping rocks removed from my Cocker Spaniel a couple of yrs ago. She was eating them and they caused an impaction. Do what you need to do to prevent it. It can be deadly.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
We constantly find Noel eating things and chewing on things that I can't understand why she grabs... Basically concrete and rocks...
It could be as simple as exploratory chewing or it could be something as complex as acral lick dermatitis (basically a form of OCD). I suspect exploratory chewing as it is very common.

There's a portion of our backyard around the AC Unit that she has dug up and turned into her own mud pit... I can barely let her out back anymore because she keeps coming to the backdoor COVERED in mud (how many showers can you give a dog before you go nuts?)...
The first answer in your solution is management. You'll have a hard time curbing the behavior if you're not available to curb the behavior. So no more unsupervised outing in areas that she has this problem.

Well, I want to cover that area with rocks to keep her from digging in it, but knowing her, she'll just start eating the rocks, which just CANT be good for her or her teeth... Any idea how to get her to stop chewing on and eating rocks and concrete and other things of that nature?
Have you taught the dog a "leave it" cue? This would be step 2. Have you taught the dog an orient-on-you cue? This would be step 3. Have you taught the dog a "drop it" cue? This would be step 4.

This is where you would start, and depending on the dog, by the time you've taught him all these behaviors, and how well you've managed the dog, extinction sets in, the dog loses interest, and he's investing his energy in other things. So perhaps the 5th step is to give him a preferred activity for him to invest his energy. Sand pits can be a good one if set up properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts