Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally Luke would eat well as we were switching his food, but in the past week he's gotten sick and has been on medication and a diet of rice/chicken. His #2's are looking well and we're slowly introducing his food back in, but he's now eating his food awfully fast! Too fast, it seems!

Is there anyway of slowing him down? Sometimes he gets the hiccups, but it passes quickly, but other than that he's fine. He hasn't vomited his food back up either and he still sleeps a lot but we think that's because of his medication.

So why does he eat fast? And is there any way for him to slow down? Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I recently changed food bowls for a different reason and discovered that using a larger flat-bottomed bowl slowed their eating down considerably. They can't just plunge their face in and start chomping, they have to follow the food around to get it all.

Video

There are also special bowls with lumps in the bottom that the dogs have to eat around. Some people put large chains or rocks in the bowl, but I wouldn't advise that. I think Jaia would try to eat them, too...

Slow Eating Bowl
Break-Fast dog Bowl

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Four, we're going to PetsMart today anyway so I'll look for those bowls. I'll look at the video later too, thanks again. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts