Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy has taken to eating his own poop. We were told it is quite common with young puppies, and were told it may have been something lacking from his diet that made him do this, so we switched foods and it seemed to help. At least for a while, but he is doing it again. We get rid of it as soon as we're able but sometimes he beats us to it. I read (maybe here I can't remember) that adding pineapple juice to his food would make his stool more repugnant to him. That did not work for him. Anyone have any other ideas we could try?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You'll hear about trying all sorts of things in their food to deter this. Sometimes it works but, most of the time it doesn't. I'm not a fan of putting additives like MSG into the puppies food anyway. There is only one sure fire fix and that's to pick it up right away.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My dog (who is now passed-the dog in my avatar) did this, but when he was an older dog he started to do this. I think it was because he started to get allergies to certain foods and we had to change his dog food.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Shippo went through this, so I just kept him on a leash for a while, so it kept him from being tempted to turn around and eat the poop. Then I was able to pick it up. After about a month I was able to let him off the leash in the yard with no poop eating. Usually, if you prevent them from doing it for long enough, it helps to get them out of the habit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts