Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mandie has been eating once a day for the past four or five days, at dinner time. Is once a day enough? She wasn't showing interest in eating in the morning, so I stopped offering it to her. She eats her whole bowl at dinner, about a cup and half and then walks away. If you tried to add more, she won't eat it. So is it okay that she only eats once a day? Her energy is good and her coat is looking fantastic. She also gets treats during training but we try and limit those. The vet told us she was a perfect weight, so I'd like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
My dog does the same thing. I tried to reduce the evening meal in hopes that she will eat her morning meal but she absolutely refused! I guess each dog has their own eating schedule and as long as she's not losing weight, tired, bloated, etc. She can eat however she likes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I thought the heat might have something to do with it. Our town averages more triple digit days than anywhere else in california and I know when I'm hot I don't feel like eating much, so maybe it's the same with dogs.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Oh yes, heat usually affects dog's appetite. In the winter or on very cold days my dog eats 10-15% more than she would on a scorching day. Actually just yesterday she only had a few bites of kibble because it was VERY hot and she was feeling the heat.

This morning, however, since it was cooler she finished off last night's kibble.

I basically free feed my dogs now and one chooses to eat only once a day although she can keep nibbling if she wants. I guess some dogs can self regulate very well and won't stuff themselves.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It's not ideal, but some dogs just won't eat two meals. One of my friend's dogs will eat very little if at all in the morning. He eats at dinner, but that's it. As long as the vet thinks she's healthy, she'll be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dog is the same way. She absolutely refuses to eat in the morning. Once in a great while she will, but 99% of the time, she always eats in the evening. Actually she just empited out her bowl and it's 11:15pm here.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Actually...I've just started to add Orijen 6 Fish to my dog's diet in hopes that I can change it and she absolutely LOVES the taste of it! She will now eat 2 meals a day of Innova as long as I add a few crushed Orijen kibble.

So maybe it does have something to do with the food. I've tried 5 or 6 brands with the same results before so I assumed that that was just her feeding habit...

Edit: Nevermind, Nia is back to one meal a day again even with Orijen. I guess that is her habit after all.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I can get Donatello to eat 17 meals a day if I wanted to, lol. I mix in some soft dog food, because if I don't he won't eat much kibble...

I still only feed him once a day, 1/4 cup of kibble plus half a can of soft dog food mixed in, so it's close to about a cup of food a day... Then he gets chews and treats often enough...

I mentioned somewhere else that his vet says he's quite healthy...

I do leave down some dry dog food in-between his meals, but he'll rarely if ever eat it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts