Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we first got Mumble the Papillon about a month ago, he has tried to eat as much grass and dead leaves as he could get his paws on. He finds ALL the leaves that somehow end up in the house. He usually drops them pretty easily, though.
Grass, however, is another story. Sometimes, when I take him out into the backyard to do his business, all he cares about is munching grass.

I try to correct this with a quick "eh-eh" and redirect him to another part of the yard, but he usually just finds another tuft of grass right away. I've been trying to be consistent, but sometimes when he's munching it looks like he's sniffing and vice versa. I don't want to fuss at him for sniffing the grass.
I've seen no improvement in this behavior whatsoever.

So, is there anything else I could be doing? Is he trying to fill in some gap in his diet? I'm feeding him Taste of the Wild lamb formula kibble.

It's great that we'll never have to mow the lawn, but I'd rather him not be in the habit of eating various flora.

Edit: I thought I'd also mention that when I walk him at my parents' house, he tries to snatch up acorns and bradford pears when I'm not looking.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Sometimes dogs eat grass to settle an upset tummy. Some just like it I believe .... and I have one who eats ANYTHING that is on the ground ... have to keep a close eye on this one. LOl! :)

If you are feeding a good food, which you are ... he shouldn't be doing this for lack of something. If you are over-feeding he may have stomach upset? You could talk to your vet to see if maybe the TOTW is too rich of a food for your pup. Maybe try a different flavor of TOTW? There are too many "if's" .... :)

Or he could just be like my little Leeo .... a food driven eat everything in sight dog! :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There's been a lot written about why dogs eat grass and other vegetation. The end result is that we really don't know why. Perhaps the reason is as simple as 'Abbylynn' said: some dogs just like the taste of these things.

Just be careful that the vegetation has not been treated with any pesticide - that could make your dog very ill. Also, some plants are actually toxic in themselves and you should not let your dog eat even a little bit.

The ASPCA Poison Control Center has a searchable list of these plants with pictures:

Plants toxic to dogs.

Fortunately, dogs find most of these plants unattractive. Unfortunately, not all of them.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Poly, for that link. I've bookmarked it.

So far it's just been plain old grass, our yard doesn't have much else (besides dirt), and he's not outside by himself, but I don't want it to be a habit.
I'm going to start "leave it" training soon. Hopefully that will help.

Abbylynn, I do suspect that it's just for fun. I haven't noticed any other signs of an upset stomach, but I'll keep it in mind if he doesn't improve.

Yesterday I confiscated and threw away at least a dozen leaves that he found SOMEWHERE in the house. I've been using it to train "drop it" and it's working fairly well. He lets go and gets a treat, but he still looks at me like I'm taking away all his best toys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts