Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My King Charles Cavalier, Lance, loves eating grass. I heard that dogs tend to eat grass when they're feeling ill, but Lance eats it every chance he gets! He has for a long time, now. He's not acting like he feels ill; he's his usual, playful, happy self.

I'm wondering if I should be worried and if I should keep him from eating grass or just let him (which I don't think is a good idea)...Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I don't think it would hurt the dog any. My Nell sometimes eats grass as well, but if you really look at her when she does, she doesn't just eat any grass. She's real picky on what grass blades to eat, lol. A friends yard has 2 different grasses in his yard and Nell tends to prefer the wider bladed grass. How much are you feeding the dog? Have you tried maybe upping his food a little to see if he stops eating the grass?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If he has a weight problem, I would think the grass (which is very high in fiber) would actually help with that, both by making him feel more full and by helping clean out his system. Not that I'm recommending eating grass as a weight loss plan! But I wouldn't be concerned about the grass adding weight.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Lately both my dogs have been eating/licking the grass. I think because it has dew on it or water from the rain and they just like how it tastes.

Only once has my older dog ate grass purposely to throw up. She was acting weird all morning and hubby couldn't figure out why...then later she ate the grass, threw up and went back to acting normal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not worried about grass /adding/ weight (I'm not worried about his weight in relationship to the grass at all ^^U), just wondering if it's something he shouldn't be doing, in case it makes him sick. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm not worried about grass /adding/ weight (I'm not worried about his weight in relationship to the grass at all ^^U), just wondering if it's something he shouldn't be doing, in case it makes him sick. Thanks for the input!
As long as you don't use chemicals on your lawn it should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When we first got our Springer I was really concerned as she seemed to be eating grass all of the time (which I always thought was a sign of a sick dog), but not being sick. When I took her to the vet for her yearly jabs I asked the vet about it. Apparantly, and I quote, "I wouldn't worry about it - some dogs just like grass."

She still does it but it doesn't bother me anymore!

Tom

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Both of mine eat certain green stuff in my back yard. They are very particular. I've never looked real close...it could be the clover. I don't worry about it. I just laugh at them and call them my little cows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts