Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is actually a dilemma per say but my wife and I have a female rough collie 10 months old. We followed breeder instruction and gave her the same brand of food up until she was about 8 months. Then we switched her to a different one. She wasn't really that crazy about it and she had the runs with it. So we switched to a higher quality brand (Taste of the wild) she did better but still wouldn't be eating very much. She we tried a different one with similar results.

She lives with another dog much older that gets prescription kibble with a dollop of canned food (also prescription). Belle (rough collie) loves the canned food and will eat the kibble too. but that food is $88 bag and is mainly soy with some other stuff to prevent UTI in our 13 year old chow.

I have reached out to the breeder as this is our first time owning a collie (we have loved the collie breed). I don't really know how much collies are supposed to eat, we feed her 2 times per day morning and evening. As of now with the food she isn't thrilled about she probably eats at least 1.5-2 cups per day. Is that enough? She is slim, but definitely not underweight.

Do collies eat that amount of food and are ok, or is she being picky because she sees another dog getting food that she wants?

Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
What food are you currently feeding her? The bag should have a recommended feeding guide on it. Keep in mind that the amounts recommended are typically on the high end.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know that dogs typically require less when fed higher quality foods.

When I switched my dog to Acana, he went from eating 3-4 cups of food a day to 1.5 per day + treats for training, and he weighs about 80lbs. If your dog is at a good weight then she's likely getting enough food. However, since she's not thrilled about the current food, it might be worth trying something else, perhaps with a different protein source, to see if you can find one she enjoys more.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I bet she wants some canned food, it is smellier than dry. You could try adding a bit of warm broth to her meals to see if she likes that or be really nice and give her some canned food too. Doesn't have to be a lot, a spoonful mixed with a bit of water is fine.

·
Registered
777 Posts
IME, at 10 months, a puppy will be very lean, sometimes a bit underweight and will stay so until 1.5 years. I would stop changing foods immediately and just stick with what you want her to eat. If she is being picky, as long as you stop changing foods, she will not allow herself to starve. However, constantly changing foods can train a dog to starve itself severely in the name of pickiness because if it holds out long enough, the humans will always change to something it dislikes less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everyone! She is currently being fed Natures Domain. We have decided to not change her food anymore, and give less treats. We have tried putting chicken broth on the food and there really wasn't a change, A little bit of bacon grease helped but she still didn't finish the food. For some reason she likes the very smelly soy prescription food, but she isn't getting any of that. Maybe after awhile we will see if we need to add a dollop of canned food to her kibble and mix it in. I think she has a mental problem too of seeing the older dog getting a different food, and even tho the older dog doesn't like the prescription food she feels like she needs to have the same food.

If we sit with her and point at the food and keep telling her to eat she gets visibly frustrated and puts and usually does some high pitched barking at the food bowl.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I wouldn't play that game! Put whatever you have decided is the meal of the hour down for 10-15 minutes and pick it up if she isn't eating at the end of mealtime. She's through most of her growth spurt and doesn't need quite as much food now and gets really distracted by the environment so food isn't as important right now so she isn't going to be as interested in what she is supposed to eat.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Playing games to get her to eat is the one sure way to create a dog that is a picky eater, maybe for life. At this time in her life she is genetically programmed to not overeat, so count your blessings there. If she is not underweight then 1.5 to 2 cups a day is perfect for her. Metabolisms vary widely so don't compare her to other dogs or guidelines.

If your dog is skipping meals, but maintaining her bodyweight, it means that she is getting too large a portion. To get her to be a regular eater who always finishes her meals in a reasonable time, cut back on the portion size until she eats it all every time. If she hasn't finished in 10 minutes pick the bowl up. Sometimes you have to cut back to a bit less than they would normally eat for a while until they relearn their eating habits. Then gradually increase it, but not to more than she's eating now. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are putting food down for set time then picking it up when time is over. She will have to relearn her eating habits. We are also cutting back on training treats.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
They put stuff in the prescription food to tempt dogs to eat it. They have to, because dogs didn't evolve to go pick soy beans for dinner. It might help to feed the older dog away from the younger so that she isn't being exposed to the artificially awesome smelling rx food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts