Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog loves nothing better than to stick his head into the cat's litterbox and just chow down. Tonight he got a real good serving of litter and cat poop. I'm trying to allow him to have more freedom so that he doesn't have to be confined or followed all the time. He is almost 5 months and has been amazing at everything else so far. Usually he does fine roaming around these extra rooms and stays out of trouble, but for some reason this is so impossible to resist to him.

I've told him no and caught him in the act before and he knows he is bad when he does this. If I'm in eyesight he stays away from the litterbox and won't go near it. If he walks by it when I'm not right beside him, he pigs out and I catch him licking litter off his nose. This CAN'T be a healthy snack!!!

Can someone PLEASE help me? I am sickened by the idea that he may secretly eat cat feces and then come lick me. I don't want him to have to be constantly supervised or confined, but this is something proving to be a problem. He knows to get off the couch when told and only gets on when invited. He sits politely at the door and waits for you to let him out. He has learned that wires and clothes are not playtoys. Why does cat poop prove so difficult???

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Long ago, I decided this wasn't a hill I wanted to die on. I just keep the litter boxes safely behind baby gates so the dogs just don't have access to them. Maybe it's a cop out, but I don't worry about cat-poop kisses, either. ;)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Cat poop, I think, is the best tasting thing a dog can get, LOL. I, too, keep the litterboxes behind closed doors. The basement door has a cat door cut into it, and the other rooms have tall baby gates guarding them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I hoped not to gate off a whole room, so I got a booda dome - the one with the stairs - and Elka promptly took the lid right off.

I now have a baby gated room dedicated to my cat and exercise gear. She gets her meals in there, her bathroom is on the opposite side, and the dogs can watch from a distance. Gives her a nice getaway place, and has one of the best front-facing windows in the house, to which I attached a bird-feeder.

If you've gotta give up a room, you may as well go all the way, right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily, this is my mom's cat, so I'll be moving out in about 2 and a half weeks and this problem won't exist. I think I mostly needed to vent. :/

I really do wish he would leave the box alone, but until I move out I guess I'll just keep him on a leash in the house so I can keep him by me. Sometimes, we hang out in my room unless we are going for a walk or hanging out with my little brother. Ah well, so much for saving myself a LITTLE bit of trouble. puppies.........

thanks for all the responses though! and i completely agree: cat-flavored lolly-pops would go far. business idea for the enthusiastic entrepreneur. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts