Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard stories and gross stories (thanks to the Grossest Dog story thread), so I don't think my story is all that unique.

My 6 month old puppy eats my cats' poop, and I'm getting sick of it, literally.

We normally leave the door to the den closed, but since it's getting hot, we leave it open from time to time. However, it can leave Stardust searching for my cats' poop.

We're at loss on how to remedy this problem. Stardust is starting to get a lot better with potty training, and had only two accidents (one was my fault, the other was my fiance's fault), within two months, so we feel okay to leave the den door open, but I'm always worried that she'll go visit the litterboxes and eat the "tootsie rolls".

I know there's people here that has multipet households, so I wonder how you remedy this problem.

Here's some of my ideas, and maybe you can pitch in some opinions.

One - move one litter box in the 2nd bathroom on top of counter. The second bathroom is used seldom, mostly by my fiance. The toilet lid is always closed (that's because I trained him!!). I'm not too crazy about this idea, but putting it in a higher place may deter Stardust from getting up there, but may also cause the same issue for my cats.

Two - invest in Litter Maid. Since Stardust only eats poop, usually when it is "fresh". We clean the litter boxes nightly. I'm only concerned about investing a lot of money, where I'm not sure if my cats will like hearing it move (regardless if it's on a timer).

I would love to be able to put a baby gate in the hallway leading to the den so I can leave the den door open, but she's small enough to get between the slats. That's a no go.

Thanks for any tips/opinions!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
They make baby gates without slats.....plastic mesh, wire mesh, solid plexi-glass, etc. Lots of options.

Honestly, I don't know if it's even possible to train most dogs to not eat kitty poop if she has access to it. Restricting access is the only way to be sure she won't get into the cat box. I have baby gates in some doorways and kitty doors in others.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
We have a wire mesh baby gate with a cat sized hole cut out of it. We took the door off the back door closet and use that as the cats area.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Put the litter box up on something that the dog can't jump up on. Maybe in a high cabinet with a way for the cat to climb up there.

Or, you could get one of those big storage tubs at WalMart with a lid and cut a hole in the lid that's large enough for the cat to get in and place the litter box inside. Pop the lid off to clean it.

Google Dog-proof Litter Box - Purr-fect Privy

Baby Gate

·
Super Moderator
7,351 Posts
My dog likes to eat cat poop too, so we made our own dog proof litter box. :) We just took a large rubbermaid bin and cut part of the lid off. Astra (the cat) can jump in to use the box, but Kuma can't. Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try the litter box in the bathtub thing. It's better than on the counter.

The second thing I will try is to modify one of my cabinets to hold litter box and kitty door on the side. I saw a moficiation of an Ikea cabinet, so it gave me an idea...it's a cheaper alternative (since I have one cabinet that's kinda crappy to begin with).

I'll work on it and hopefully it will work. Thanks for your ideas!

·
Registered
374 Posts
FourIsCompany wrote:

Or, you could get one of those big storage tubs at WalMart with a lid and cut a hole in the lid that's large enough for the cat to get in and place the litter box inside. Pop the lid off to clean it.

Google Dog-proof Litter Box - Purr-fect Privy
=====

We bought a clevercat box that costs a little more than making a hole in the rubber maid lid, but the lid on the clevercat is very nice: the hole is a great size and very smooth while the cat jumps on to and off of the lid on a grooved surface that catches litter.

I'm surprised we're as happy with it as we are. Odor control is great. The cats adopted it immediately. And the dog hasn't eaten poop since we got it.

We don't use the expensive liners.
Petco carries them.

www.clevercatinnovations.com (nci)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have the litter boxes in an area the dog has been taught not to go in. When I am not home the dog is confined to a crate. When I cannot watch her she is confined to an "area" (used to be a crate but I do something a little different now).

My dog has been trained to not go in bathrooms, bedrooms or the kitchen (which attaches to an entrance hall where some of the litter boxes are). Other litter boxes are in Bathrooms and no dogs in bathrooms is the rule.

Best to train the dog and when not present, confine the dog. Dogs are scavengers and when they find food they eat it because scavengers are opportunists. Cat poop is food to them. You can never trust a scavenger not to scavenge if you are not there to prevent it.

PS: My cat boxes are the covered kind but not the clever cat box metnioned.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I have "cathouses".

modified dog crates that not only prevent the dogs from eating cat poop, but provide the cats with a safe haven should the dog/dogs(im a dogsitter) get too rowdy.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Welcome to the club!! You are right - this is not a unique problem <sigh> I have one too.... Jiggy the poop eater... except she doesn't discriminate..she will also eat the other dog's poo...
Not only is access restricted, but the there are no more Jiggy kisses =(

BTW - love your name... happen to be a Bowie fan?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts