Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocks, twigs, acorns, leaves, poop if I can get close enough to it, dirt, grass, paper...

Inside I keep the floors clean and there's rarely anything she can get to that she cannot have -- outside - ugh. Is it bad for her to eat grass and twigs, acrons and gulp, even stones!??

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
This is a teenager you're talking about right. Seems normal enough to me. Oh wait, it's a dog forum.

It's not unusual for dogs to engage in this behavior. Certainly rule out any nutritional deficiencies and health issues. I don't suppose your dog is a beagle by any chance is it?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I dunno about rocks, but Zoey goes nuts for sticks, leaves and grass whenever we are outside. She always drags something back in with her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would worry if she ate anything from this list:
http://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm or google toxic plants to dogs.

Most leafs from trees are ok, they supply very little to no nutritional supplements. I don't know a lot about dogs or dog behavior however, almost every dog I have been around outside ate everything in sight.

Good luck.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If it can fit in his mouth he will put it in there. I used to go get him to drop everything and finally gave up and now just shake my head. There's nothing harmful to him in our backyard anyways. Reminds me of a toddler LOL

·
Registered
282 Posts
The only one of mine that will pretty much put anything in her mouth is Javelin...I am forever having to stop her from eating all kinds of things that she shouldn't...she's only 1 though so I'm hoping she will out grow it.

I don't think grass or twigs is terrible for her, I would be more concerned about the acorns and twigs possibly damaging something internally while being digested :confused:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine still love to chew sticks and grass, which I think is normal.

My 3 year old male eats coyote poop when he runs in the woods and so far haven't had any problems, although I try to keep an eye out for anything that might indicate he has worms. When he was younger he would also eat dirt, which he eventually he quit.

I think your dog will grow out of some of what she eats, but some is just too darn tasty from a dog perspective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My puppy has been licking the carpet for any crumbs. It bugs me, she's a little obsessive, but I'm glad there's nothing dangerous there. I keep vacuuming. Now for the cat poop, she keeps trying, but she can't reach the kitty litter. She also is very attracted to cat puke. How do we break her from that? That is without threatening or frightening her. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My puppy has been licking the carpet for any crumbs. It bugs me, she's a little obsessive, but I'm glad there's nothing dangerous there. I keep vacuuming. Now for the cat poop, she keeps trying, but she can't reach the kitty litter. She also is very attracted to cat puke. How do we break her from that? That is without threatening or frightening her. :rolleyes:
You have to teach the "leave it" command :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your not alone. I posted a question about this a few days ago. I have a beagle; now I'm thinking he may be mixed with foxhound as well. He is obsessed with eating sticks, pine cones, and other dogs poop. He won't eat his own poop, though. I talked to some other beagle owners at the dog park and they told me that beagles are known for eating poop all the time. The sticks I"m unsure about. I'm hoping he will grow out of it considering he is only six months. I have him on Wellness puppy which I think is pretty nutritious. I was thinking about getting a muzzle for when I walk him because it's so frustrating.

·
Registered
861 Posts
my dog used to be a vacuum cleaner on all of our walks and it drove me nuts!

she eventually grew out of it, but you might want to teach the "leave it" and "drop it" commands to make sure your dog isn't eating something he shouldn't

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
My dog loves my kitchen floors. Especially the area between the sink and the stove. I'm a messy cook and tend to drop things. Apparently I don't pick them up as well as I think I do. He's always rooting around on the tile for some morsel of something that I missed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts