Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone!

Although I am raising popular dog breeds like Golden Retriever and Australian Shepherd for years but it is the first time when I saw a bear looking dog breed. It looks like that a combination of bear and Chow Chow breed but my major question is here how easy it is to carry this dog breed mainly if I go with a Cantonese bear dog puppy. Also, we have a small garden for walking. Does this breed need more places to walk?

Although this [link removed by moderator] article refers that the Cantonese bear dog is a joyful and friendly dog breed but the size of an adult dog could grow to 32 inches and the weight could be around 77 to 85 pounds. Is it safe to raise such dogs? I am asking it because it is a crossbreed and could have the features of a bear.

What are your thoughts on it? By the way, their faces give a different vibe.

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
Bear dogs are dogs bred to hunt bears, not dogs mixed with bears. Dog-bear hybrids are physically and biologically impossible.

I'm not familiar with this breed specifically, but working hunting dog breeds do tend to require more exercise and can be more intense than dogs bred for companionship. I would definitely expect them to need more exercise and stimulation than just being out in a small garden.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,279 Posts
I do not believe the "cantonese bear dog" actually exists. The only references to it are based on a post on Twitter. The video and photos look like a mash up of a cat and a chow - basically a cat muzzle put on a chow head.

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
Doesn't look photoshopped to me. I just assumed it's a rare breed native to non- English-speaking countries so there's not much information available to anyone who doesn't speak/read the relevant language, like the Hmong dog or the Chinese Red Dog. Could be wrong, if course. It certainly does mean they'll be incredibly difficult to find, especially from ethical breeders, outside their home country.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you search on them, you will find images and videos that are photoshopped. Also, the same few photos are used on every website mentioning them, and those photos are also used on a few Hmong dog articles (NOT on actual legitimate Hmong dog breed sites).

There is no written physical description of the breed, let alone any breed standards like size, weight, etc. Every article about them appears to be based on a single Twitter post and none of the articles include any history about the breed. If this were truly an actual breed, there would be other sources verifying the existence of these dogs, a history about the breed, and/or a written physical description of what the breed looks like other than "a dog that looks like a cat".

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
Well, if you're right then it'll certainly be hard to find a breeder! They definitely resemble smooth Chow Chows (at least the ones that don't have super heavy wrinkles). Regardless of whether this is a real breed or not, the lack of information would make me worried that anyone claiming to have puppies to sell are scammers - either the puppies are a different breed/mix or they'll promise to ship the puppy after you pay and then vanish with your money. Be careful out there!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Absolutely!

FYI, I even did a search for breeders and there are none coming up. On Youtube, one poster in the comments states this is a designer cross between a chow and a pomeranian or samoyed. When I searched for a chow/pom cross, only an online puppy broker came up as a source. These are huge red flags - especially as the online broker has many many negative reviews for dogs with serious illnesses, hereditary diseases, and for mixed breeds being sold as purebreds.

As for the "ease" of raising a chow cross, I will say it will be much much much more difficult than raising a golden or aussie. Chows are notoriously headstrong and willfull and both purebreds and mixes find themselves in shelters because owners couldn't, or weren't willing to, handle them once they stopped being cute furry puppies.

Reactions: TyrannicalTrix

·
Registered
59 Posts
Absolutely!

FYI, I even did a search for breeders and there are none coming up. On Youtube, one poster in the comments states this is a designer cross between a chow and a pomeranian or samoyed. When I searched for a chow/pom cross, only an online puppy broker came up as a source. These are huge red flags - especially as the online broker has many many negative reviews for dogs with serious illnesses, hereditary diseases, and for mixed breeds being sold as purebreds.

As for the "ease" of raising a chow cross, I will say it will be much much much more difficult than raising a golden or aussie. Chows are notoriously headstrong and willfull and both purebreds and mixes find themselves in shelters because owners couldn't, or weren't willing to, handle them once they stopped being cute furry puppies.
I can’t see a chow/pom mix going well temperament wise, as well! They’re two extremely differing breeds, save for a furry coat. You just wouldn’t be able to predict what you’re getting. Not to mention a Chow-chow is around 5 times a poms size!

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks like that a combination of bear and Chow Chow breed but my major question is here how easy it is to carry this dog breed mainly if I go with a Cantonese bear dog puppy. Also, we have a small garden for walking. Does this breed need more places to walk?
Just in case you do go the route of a chow mix, I’d like to let you know a small garden likely won’t be enough room for that dog.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I can’t see a chow/pom mix going well temperament wise, as well! They’re two extremely differing breeds, save for a furry coat. You just wouldn’t be able to predict what you’re getting. Not to mention a Chow-chow is around 5 times a poms size!
Yeah, I see this as a designer breed gone bad. Same with a chow/samoyed cross.

Reactions: TyrannicalTrix

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
Based on some of the Google translate searching I did, it might also be an older version of Chow, closer to how the breed was at its origin. But that's putting a lot of faith in Google translate, so who knows.

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
This post is six months old and the original poster hasn't been active here in about as long, so I'm closing the thread to further replies. Feel free to join in any of our current discussions, or start a new thread of your own!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.