Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Beef liver, I buy the presliced stuff in the grocery store. Preheat the oven to 200. Lay the liver out flat on a baking sheet. Cook until done. Bus likes his more on the crunchy side, so it usually takes 3 1/2-4 hours.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I've also done liver treats. I get whole liver and cut it into chunks. Boil it about 20-30 mins until ti's done, then cut it up and bake at 200* for another 20-30 mins or so.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just dried some venison parts I defrosted. I used liver, gall bladder, and back strap.

Just overnight in a dehydrator

I got the deer for free and the dehydrator was a Christmas present. So, these were basically free (except the energy used to run the machine).

If you went to a pet store to buy these, I would say you would pay up to twenty bucks for something like this.

I am currently defrosting a set of beef lungs I got for very cheap at a slaughter house and I will make more treats. I just started drying stuff like this and I love it. No preservatives, lasts a long time (I store the dried stuff in the freezer), is cheap, and healthy. I don't know that I will ever buy another processed, overpriced, unhealthy snack for my guys. I think I am going to start drying everything now lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't discount leftovers and such! My old dog loved carrots, bell peppers and potatoes and any time you have leftover chicken or other meats, that can be a treat, too. I have a tupperware container in the fridge labeled "Kabota Treats". It's the kind with the different sections, probably meant for school lunches. When my husband cooks he empties it out and then puts in whatever he had leftover that a dog can eat and then and when I clean up after dinner, I add to it, too. Those are treats for the next 24-48 hours, depending upon when cooking happens again.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't discount leftovers and such! My old dog loved carrots, bell peppers and potatoes and any time you have leftover chicken or other meats, that can be a treat, too. I have a tupperware container in the fridge labeled "Kabota Treats". It's the kind with the different sections, probably meant for school lunches. When my husband cooks he empties it out and then puts in whatever he had leftover that a dog can eat and then and when I clean up after dinner, I add to it, too. Those are treats for the next 24-48 hours, depending upon when cooking happens again.
Thats a really good idea!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts