Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've had my 4 year old boston terrier, Mimi, for a couple of months now, and she has been adjusting pretty well (we've had a few issues, but have seen awesome improvement!) Currently, I live about 5 minutes away from where I work my regular 9 to 5 job, so I am able to come home every day during lunch so I can let Mimi out of her crate (keeping her out of her crate during the day is definitely not an option for several reasons) and I can play with her and take her on a short walk. This has been working out really well for us over the past couple of months. But unfortunately, I just found out that my office will be moving about 20 minutes away from where I live so I won't be able to come home for lunch anymore. We're moving offices in early January, so I'd like to be able to start easing her into this change as soon as possible, but I'm just not sure how. I already play with her and walk her every morning before work to get as much energy out as possible, but other than that, I'm not sure how to make this transition as smooth as possible for the both of us. Any suggestions?

To be clear, I live alone and I don't really have the option or the funds to hire a "dog walker/babysitter", and I'm just not willing to drive 20 minutes during my lunch hour, spend 10-15 minutes at home and then drive the other 20 minutes back to the office. My question is how can I ease Mimi into this change smoothly, since coming home during that time will just not be an option?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would just start phasing out your lunchtime visits. Assuming she's reliably housebroken, you shouldn't have a problem leaving her in the crate for an entire work day. Lots of people do it without issue. If you're worried about keeping her activity levels the same, just extend the morning walk or start walking in the evening if you don't already. Dogs are very adaptable and something like this might confuse her at first but she should get used to the new routine very quickly.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I agree with TSTrainer. When I had puppies, I'd gradually move my lunch break later until I was leaving work a little early and, eventually, leaving them the entire day. My older dog goes out around 8ish (I think) and often doesn't go again until 4ish even when given the opportunity. Mimi should be fine during the day.

I'd love to go home every day, but I have about a 30 minute commute and can't take 90 minute lunch breaks every day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts