Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a puppy, but when I used to help at a Schutzhund training club, I overheard people referring to phases in which their GSDs would suddenly change into an easily spooked, suspicious dog.... and, as I recall, they seemed to discuss this as a passing and expected phase... somewhere around six months if I recall.

Does anyone have knowledge of this kind of thing?

My 5+ month old pup is suddenly refusing to walk down the driveway on our first morning "do your potty business" walk. In fact, she is notably more suspicious and shy in the morning in general.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hope this helps :)
Dogs go through many different “fear periods” throughout their early lives. Some dogs seem to breeze through them with hardly a ripple and with others it appears that “the sky is falling.” If your dog lived in the wild, this would not be a problem. However, in our society, it can become a real issue, as the available information shows that euthanasia for behavior problems is on the rise.

Fear periods are when your young dog all of a sudden is afraid of people, objects or places he used to be comfortable with. Some dogs will manifest that fear into shyness and some into more active “go away” behaviors such as growling or lunging. The time frame I have listed here is approximate, but you’ll be able to recognize those times just by being cognizant of your own dog’s change of behavior.

Between seven to nine weeks of age
Anywhere from four to six months
Again at around 12 months
At approximately 14 to 18 months and with some dogs can even be as late as 2 years
http://www.positivedogs.com/articles/early_doesnt_mean.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts