Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stella is my first puppy, I got her when she was 8 Weeks, and I was fully prepared for any accidents, the potty training, the accidents, and the teething. A few Week went by and Stella went out regularly,.she learned which door to paw it when she wants to go out, and that she should only go outside. She has only had 2 accidents which were within her first week home. I did crate train Stella, and now she choses to sleep in there but I now leave the door open. She wakes up around 6-7 a.m, sits at my bedroom dooor and whines, when I open it she runs downstairs, and waits for me to open the door to the backyard, after shes done she comes inside and continues sleeping. She's about 3 months now and continues.this routine. So, how did you guys train your pups?

·
Registered
38 Posts
diezel was pretty easy, only 4 accidents all together and non of them were a number 2. Diezel doesn't make it super obvious that he has to go out unless we're just getting back from being out of the house for a while. then he just goes nuts and whines a lot and runs around a lot till he makes it too the door. Diezel sits patiently by the door and doesn't make a peep. I wish he would at least alert me and my boyfriend that he has to go out but we know what we're looking for so it's easy for us to just let him out when he sits by the back door.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
diezel was pretty easy, only 4 accidents all together and non of them were a number 2. Diezel doesn't make it super obvious that he has to go out unless we're just getting back from being out of the house for a while. then he just goes nuts and whines a lot and runs around a lot till he makes it too the door. Diezel sits patiently by the door and doesn't make a peep. I wish he would at least alert me and my boyfriend that he has to go out but we know what we're looking for so it's easy for us to just let him out when he sits by the back door.
That's how Stella is! When she wants to play she'll whine a lot and start yapping at the back door, but when she has to go she'll just sit there and paw at it. She'll start whining if we don't let her out after awhile though.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky, LOL. That's great that she's already telling you that she needs to go out. She sounds like a smart one!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sammy (JRT mix- my heart dog) was easy as pie to train. We crated him from the day we got him (14 weeks old) and used a string of bells at the patio door. By six months he had his freedom. only a couple accidents ever and one involved a vacuum cleaner - LOL So I don't even count that!

Now Daisy..sigh... she's a doxie.. and well she's 3 and still has the occasional incident. When we adopted her at 1 year old, she had no evidence of living in a house at all. She was found on the street, crazy underweight and infected six ways to sunday (worms and skin infections!) So we're just happy we have hardwood and take it all in stride. She's an awesome little pooch!

Just don't be upset if Stella has a backslide.. she's very young yet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sammy (JRT mix- my heart dog) was easy as pie to train. We crated him from the day we got him (14 weeks old) and used a string of bells at the patio door. By six months he had his freedom. only a couple accidents ever and one involved a vacuum cleaner - LOL So I don't even count that!

Now Daisy..sigh... she's a doxie.. and well she's 3 and still has the occasional incident. When we adopted her at 1 year old, she had no evidence of living in a house at all. She was found on the street, crazy underweight and infected six ways to sunday (worms and skin infections!) So we're just happy we have hardwood and take it all in stride. She's an awesome little pooch!

Just don't be upset if Stella has a backslide.. she's very young yet.
Thank you!& aw good luck with Daisy, i'm sure she'll get the hang of it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stella is my first puppy, I got her when she was 8 Weeks, and I was fully prepared for any accidents, the potty training, the accidents, and the teething. A few Week went by and Stella went out regularly,.she learned which door to paw it when she wants to go out, and that she should only go outside. She has only had 2 accidents which were within her first week home. I did crate train Stella, and now she choses to sleep in there but I now leave the door open. She wakes up around 6-7 a.m, sits at my bedroom dooor and whines, when I open it she runs downstairs, and waits for me to open the door to the backyard, after shes done she comes inside and continues sleeping. She's about 3 months now and continues.this routine. So, how did you guys train your pups?
Damn you!
I thought I had it easy... but you have the icing on the cake and little more. My guy has had minimal accidents - I think we have counted 6. He is "beginning" to ask, by going down the stairs and waiting at the backdoor. No pawing yet.

He does bite still but I do the "OUCH" you jerk and redirect with a toy if that doesn't work. He has good days and bad days where he has to be reminded.

His crate training is going well - sleeps from 10-6 everyday - door closed. He doesn't wimper in the morning until someone gets up. Who happens to be my fiancee, so I end up getting up to. He, unlike your little delight - does NOT go back to sleep. He is rearing to go! I walk him, feed, him and sometimes nap on the floor with him.. lol.. mommy gets tired !

Walks are going well, minimal barking, very easily redirected to me if need be. He LOVES adults (all shapes and sizes)but is still cautious around children. We are working on it daily but he still gets stiff and keeps his distance (suggestions are good here!)

Everyone who has met him has commented how calm and docile he is. And the Vet was very impressed with how amazingly quiet and polite he was when getting shots!

But still.. Your girl is not only adorable... but awesome!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Hot Damn! Only two accidents?! Pete has been here 2 months now and he will still sneak off and go in the house if given half a chance. He barks and drools in his crate (despite my greatest efforts to make it a wonderful place) and counter surfs like Houdini. Literally, I filmed him do a three point leap up to our island countertop, easily 5 times his height.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn you!
I thought I had it easy... but you have the icing on the cake and little more. My guy has had minimal accidents - I think we have counted 6. He is "beginning" to ask, by going down the stairs and waiting at the backdoor. No pawing yet.

He does bite still but I do the "OUCH" you jerk and redirect with a toy if that doesn't work. He has good days and bad days where he has to be reminded.

His crate training is going well - sleeps from 10-6 everyday - door closed. He doesn't wimper in the morning until someone gets up. Who happens to be my fiancee, so I end up getting up to. He, unlike your little delight - does NOT go back to sleep. He is rearing to go! I walk him, feed, him and sometimes nap on the floor with him.. lol.. mommy gets tired !

Walks are going well, minimal barking, very easily redirected to me if need be. He LOVES adults (all shapes and sizes)but is still cautious around children. We are working on it daily but he still gets stiff and keeps his distance (suggestions are good here!)

Everyone who has met him has commented how calm and docile he is. And the Vet was very impressed with how amazingly quiet and polite he was when getting shots!

But still.. Your girl is not only adorable... but awesome!
Your pups still good! Stellas still learning how to properly walk on the sidewalk, but prefers big fields where she can run her little tail off!

·
Registered
332 Posts
We've been on an hourly potty schedule since June 5th. Everytime I think Auriel gets the potty thing, she proves me wrong. She gives no signs she has to potty (no whining or pawing the door or even circling) she just squats and because of her height off the ground I have a hard time telling if she's squatting or sitting until I see a dark spot under her. Auriel will get it eventually (and the fireworks on the 4th really set us back) but I've had her since 10 weeks, she's now 15 weeks and still not potty trained but we do go several days accident free at a stretch purely from management.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've been on an hourly potty schedule since June 5th. Everytime I think Auriel gets the potty thing, she proves me wrong. She gives no signs she has to potty (no whining or pawing the door or even circling) she just squats and because of her height off the ground I have a hard time telling if she's squatting or sitting until I see a dark spot under her. Auriel will get it eventually (and the fireworks on the 4th really set us back) but I've had her since 10 weeks, she's now 15 weeks and still not potty trained but we do go several days accident free at a stretch purely from management.
Have you ever crated her?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have you ever crated her?
Yes, she's crate trained. When not in the crate she's tethered to me. I use my cell phone alarm to take her out every hour, she is on a feeding schedule. She gets extra potty trips between the hours after napping, playing, and drinking water. We throw a big party and she gets yummy chicken and a tug reward when she goes outside. I do no punish for going in the house, I put her in the bathroom (so she can't see me) and clean with Nature's Miracle, when the floor is dry I feed her kibble on that spot. She goes into the crate when I cannot watch her (at night and when I do dishes or take a shower). Some breeds take longer than others. If you actually look up Pekingese on the AKC website, even the AKC says they're notorious for being hard to potty train. I will have another 5-9 weeks of potty training (and some dogs like Bischons may not potty train until 1 year or older) before I can hope that she's got it. I'm a patient woman and my waist line is enjoying the hourly jaunt up and down the steps from the door to the grass.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, she's crate trained. When not in the crate she's tethered to me. I use my cell phone alarm to take her out every hour, she is on a feeding schedule. She gets extra potty trips between the hours after napping, playing, and drinking water. We throw a big party and she gets yummy chicken and a tug reward when she goes outside. I do no punish for going in the house, I put her in the bathroom (so she can't see me) and clean with Nature's Miracle, when the floor is dry I feed her kibble on that spot. She goes into the crate when I cannot watch her (at night and when I do dishes or take a shower). Some breeds take longer than others. If you actually look up Pekingese on the AKC website, even the AKC says they're notorious for being hard to potty train. I will have another 5-9 weeks of potty training (and some dogs like Bischons may not potty train until 1 year or older) before I can hope that she's got it. I'm a patient woman and my waist line is enjoying the hourly jaunt up and down the steps from the door to the grass.
Seems like you're doing everything right. Just keep being persistent and she should get the hang of it. My pups a german shepherd Bichon mix (very strange I know) and she learned very quickly, but since your particular breed usually takes longer, seems like you're doing everything right! Keep it up! Best of luck too :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts