Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the puppies has been developing kind of a bad habit, and I'm wondering if there's anything to worry about, or if it's just puppy play. I wish I could catch a video of her behavior, but I'm just going to have to try explaining it. Basically what happens is, she's sitting on my lap, or playing with a toy, or sometimes just laying on the floor sleeping, and one of the other dogs comes up to her, and she'll snap at them. The first time it happened she was sleeping in my lap, and one of the other puppies tried to jump in my lap, stepped on her, startled her, and she snapped at him. I thought she was just startled, and I brushed it off. But since then, I seen it happen a few more times. I'm not sure if it's an early sign of aggression, a startled reaction, or just play. It's not a hard bite/snap, no more then when they are playing, and taken in a different context, I'd just assume it was play, but it's such a sudden reaction, it worries me. There are never any "warning signs", she doesn't growl or tense or anything before hand, and after that single bark and snap, she just goes back to whatever she was doing like nothing happened. And it's not consistent. The other dogs can do the same thing again and again, and she'll react like this maybe 1 in 20 times. I've seen both of the other puppies show this reaction, but only once apiece, and the cause was the same: The male adult dog stepped on them. I'm really not sure what causes this reaction, if it's something I should worry about, and what to do about it. Any help would be much appreciated.
TIA

BTW: The dogs are all toy poodles, the pups are 4 months old.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs have personal space just like humans. Sometimes we don't mind an invasion of our space...other times we do. It depends on the context and our emotional state....same with dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts