Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 9 month old lab that is outside during the day and has a sheltered pen to sleep in at night. When we are home she will come inside and we have no problems with her going outside at night. She goes straight to be done and sleeps. The issue is the morning. As soon as the sun breaks she is awake and at the door whining and occasionally barking. I have read advice to ignore it but we have neighbours who don't want to be woken at 6am and even after 10 mins it doesn't stop.

I thought anxiety but that goes against her behaviour at all other times as she goes outside happily on command.

She gets lots of exercise and sleeps well but just seems to be an early riser.

Any ideas ??suggestions ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we can't juggle people sleeping without her jumping all over them and if she is inside she either whines more tears things apart.
It's not a major drama but not ideal for all parties

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Crate train your dog. She can sleep in there at night rather than the covered pen outside. Or you could put her in the crate as soon as she comes inside in the morning, until everyone wakes up.

A crate will prevent her from tearing things apart. If whining occurs, train her so she doesn't whine.

Sounds to me as though your pup is simply spending too much time alone.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Labs need lots of people time, but they can adapt to alone time ... They can also tell time :) and know when feeding time is and when people time is .... it's a simple biology thing. Labs also respond quickly to withdrawing attention and time outs.

Define a good schedule with specific rules - Let her in at 6am, but make her stay on a mat with a frozen, stuffed Kong. Tell her 'mat' and train her to understand what that means, gently encouraging her back to the mat, when she inches away. Training may take a few weeks. However, in the morning, when you don't have the time to 'train' give her three 'Mat!' infractions, then calmly say 'oops' and take her back outside. She may whine, but try to keep her out for 15 - 30 seconds [timeout], then let her back in, preferably when she is not whining [that may not be possible]. Repeat when needed for any slight infraction leaving the mat. SHe should learn the mat fairly quickly, but may test the boundaries for a few weeks. It's best if you can train without the timeout, but it sounds like you may need the little extra help. Be careful with the timeout, b/c it can be a very powerful, effective training tool when used with a gentle hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts