Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aslan has had a yeast infection on his chin and was treated for that yesterday but last night he started to shake his head and scratch his ears constantly.

I have checked his ears and they seem clean (mites are not visible from just our eyes are they?) they are very hot though and quite red inside.
At the moment im using warm olive oil to sooth his irritation but does anybody have any ideas of what it could be or anything else i could do.

I will make another appointment if this doesnt change by the morning its almost as if i can feel his frustration at not being able to itch where its annoying him,when i do massage his ears i can see the brief relief it brings but then he shakes and scratches a little while after.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

(my other dog is trying to lick his ears too(i think for the olive oil taste),im having to seperate them at the moment)

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is going to sound kookie, but what are you feeding?
yeastie ears is a tell tale sign of food allergies. I can tell you numorous success stories of dogs who underwent surgery to try and offer relief from ear infections who had the issues completely resolved later thru diet.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Be aware that the alcohol can be drying, so don't leave it sitting in your pups ears for any length of time, but as a cleaner it is great

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (70%)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Solution/powder
17 drops Gentian Violet Solution
Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (You may need to pour out a small amount of alcohol so it will all fit.) Be sure and SHAKE WELL before each use to disperse the boric acid. It's easier to put in the dog's ears if you put some in a small squirt bottle.
Treatment: Flood ear with solution & massage gently for 60 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Flood a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. The Gentian Violet isn't supposed to stain, but be careful.

I should also add: Do this outside, even though it is not supposed to stain. IT can and does so don't want head shakes going on in the house with it.

I have known many people very very happy with this treatment. My friends Newfoundland had chronic ear issues until she used this stuff. She has not had an issue since. It has been going around the show world for years and years. Many happy people and dogs. :) Good luck with it.

Schedule of treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. Even despite the alcohol, dogs don't object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid soothes the ear & the Gentian Violet is an anti-infection agent. (Where babies get their purple belly buttons from!!) The solution works well on any ear problem from mites to wax to canker. One vet reported a success rate of 95%-99% and felt those not successful had not been routine about it or had not done the treatment long enough. This solution is also effective for the treatment of fungus type infections on the feet & elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots.
For EXTERNAL use only. Avoid getting in eyes.

ONE more thing. You might want to take him to a groomer and have them pull hair out of his ears if the above treatment does not remedy the situation. He might have some little hairs tickling him.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Thanks Inga! I'm saving your email for future use. Roxxy's ears flop just enough that she gets itchy ears sometimes. Beats spending money on vets and medications from them! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
We have an aussie with ear issues. She gets ear infections/yeast infections in her ears and has since we got her - she's five now. I switched her food this year and started using Zymox in her ears. Knock on wood, she has fantastic looking and smelling ears for the first time. She's not had an issue since. She's even gone swimming/had bath's and not had problems. We use Zymox ear cleaner and Zymox otic - which we haven't had to use since food switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts