Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog isn't itching his ear or anything like that, but I noticed some dark residue all inside of only one of his ears (the other is perfectly clean). It kinds of smells too, like meaty dog treats or something. Hard to describe.

Does this look like ear mites? Should I get over the counter drops to treat it?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
No. Go to the vet. She/he will know what it is. The wrong treatment won't help and your dog will be in pain longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe he is in pain whatsoever. He doesn't scratch it or pay any attention to it, and touching inside and around his ear does not bother him, and there is no redness or swelling or other symptoms. I just wanted some people's opinions if this was normal ear discharge or indicative of something wrong. I can't afford a $70 vet bill just to be told my dog has a dirty ear.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't know where you are, but Ear mites tend to be rarer than yeast infections and bacterial infections.

A yeast infection smells like yeast and is usually itchy.

A bacterial infection acrid or like pus, and may not cause any pain. Each issue is treated differently and both can get worse and cause damage.

It is best to go to a Vet for diagnosis and treatment, but you can clean the ears gently and dry them carefully. There are a number of over the counter treatments, but I have no suggestions. In any case, after you wash the ears, if the smell returns, you'll have to make the decision if the potential damage to the dog's hearing is worth the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts