Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a dog with an ear infection, so Im not sure what to look for.

Ziva has been itching her ear for about a week. Just the left ear. She does not have any fever, vomiting, apparent dizziness, she's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping just fine....normal amount of energy, so she doesnt seem sick in any other way.

But she keeps itching the one ear, and it is a little red inside now. I was looking at it today, and she has one little spot near the outside where she has, I think, itched it to the point it is looking odd (a little runny, maybe, a little scratched up) so I put some antibiotic ointment on it. There is some junky icky wax stuff in there, which is not super abnormal for her, but it does seem as though there may be more than usual in that one ear, and chunkier bits of it than usual.

My husband took her to the vet yesterday for a heartworm check and rabies shot, and the vet looked at the ear and said something along the lines of "if it seems worse, bring her back." (...worse...as in....I dont know, redder? ooozier? flaming cheeseballs leaking out of it? I dont know what Im looking for).

Initially I thought maybe allergies...bc allergy season is bad here right now. Or maybe her ear hair is bothering her ear, bc for some reason, her ear hair grows exponentially faster than the hair on the rest of her body. Could too much hair do that?

I guess if I give it another week or so and nothing changes, I will take her back, or if something suddenly changes, take her back sooner. But, any advice?

·
Registered
339 Posts
If it has a funky smell, oozes, looks red and inflamed, just not right, take her in to the vet. I suggest you start cleaning her ears and perhaps plucking them. It'll help remove excess wax build up, clean out bacteria, and plucking will help prevent moisture and heat build up (all of which would lead to an ear infection). There is another thread that has information on ear cleaning right here: Cleaning Ears . And there are plenty of other threads floating around as well.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Floppy ears and allergies can lead to a tendency to get yeast or bacteria infections. Take her to the Vet and get him to educate you about Yeast, bacteria, and ear mites... telling you how to recognize it (by smell and sight), treat it, and maintain it. If she has allergies, you might also ask about over the counter generic Benedryl .... or Claritin. I bought 300 generic Claritin for $8 at Costco.

·
Registered
583 Posts
osdbmom ,

>My husband took her to the vet yesterday for a heartworm check and rabies shot, and the vet looked at the ear and said something along the lines of "if it seems worse, bring her back." (...worse...as in....I dont know, redder? ooozier? flaming cheeseballs leaking out of it? I dont know what Im looking for).<

Why would you need to carry your dog back when you were just there? Your Vet should have given you the needed meds at that time and also told you how to clean the ears. I would call the Vet back and ask for the med to treat the ears since your Vet has already looked at them.

>Initially I thought maybe allergies...bc allergy season is bad here right now. <
This could be seasonal or food allergy.

Always keep an eye out for head shaking because your dog can break a blood vessel in the ear... Hematoma.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I do clean her ears out often and so does the groomer when she goes. What I did last weekend was give her a really good bath (so if there was another smell going on I could tell where it came from) and I had my husband hold her Bc she really really hates her ears being cleaned and wiggles. I took small scissors and cut some hair off. In and around her ears so I could see better and so the hair wasn't aggravating anything. I did find a funny looking little area that was swollen red and had some dried blood. I cleaned that really well and put antibiotics ointment on it twice a day for about five days and it has cleared up. I think what happened was she was scr
atching her ear and scraped it inside and then the scrape got infected and bothered her so she kept itching at it and made it worse.

Oldhounddog .....I thought the same thing....why would I take her back if she was just there? Vets alm
ost an hour drive from home. If he thought there was an infection I wish he would have sent something home with her prat least better instructions.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
An equal mix of vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water is a good rinse, you could use that to help flush out/clean the ears. When I clean ears I use something like that, let them shake it out, then use a paper towel stuffed down into the ear and massage the outside of the ear, squishing the paper towel. That removes a lot of the gunk without using cotton swabs (if there's scabs, a swab can remove them and start the bleeding again).

Another 'go to' is brown listerine, it will kill bacteria/yeast and help dry out the ear. I've also heard of yeast infection cream, cortisone cream and antibiotic cream mixed in equal amounts and put in the ears.

I wouldn't wait to see if it gets worse if it's bothering her now.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
An equal mix of vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water is a good rinse, you could use that to help flush out/clean the ears.
Wouldn't alcohol/vinegar (even dilulted) just burn something awful if you're using it in already inflammed ears?

I'd pitch a fit if the vet tried to charge you to come back again for the ear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts