Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was just wondering if there are any options left for our pet dog.

We have a Welsh Corgi who was diagnosed with an ear infection, he was on medication but the infection just won't clear up, eventually it was deemed necessary to perform surgery.

Unfortunately after some tests the veterinarian concluded that this would be impossible due to the dog's age and low platelet count. We were told to just care for him the best we could.

He does not appear to be in pain although constantly irritated by itching. The ear builds up fluids and a really bad smell if left unchecked and the dog gets harassed by flies thus requiring regular attention.

It's been a couple of years now and while we have been managing the infection with regular cleaning and medication it is starting to become quite burdensome to maintain.

We really don't want to put him to sleep but are there any other alternatives? or is this the end of the line?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He lives on a diet of super chow dog food (pretty much just a generic food pellet type) with a side of leftovers. Not exactly pedigree stuff I know but he's our third generation corgi and we never seemed to have any problems with the diet.

He's currently 10 years old and his mother lived up to 12 years (death by pool accident).

We wash his ear clean then apply Betadine a topical antiseptic, its the only readily available antiseptic we could think of that wouldn't sting.

·
Registered
458 Posts
He lives on a diet of super chow dog food (pretty much just a generic food pellet type) with a side of leftovers. Not exactly pedigree stuff I know but he's our third generation corgi and we never seemed to have any problems with the diet.
As curbside prophet has eluded to, diet can be a major cause of chronic ear infections. Each dog is different, and just because your other corgis, apparently, had no issues with the diet, does not mean that this one does not.

Change to a better diet may or may not be the answer, but it is certainly one of the first things to be looked at.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Is this a yeast infection?

Yes, a couple of things to know. Yeast loves carbohydrates, so if you're feeding a normal dog food, you can't starve the yeast. You'll want to explore a low-carb option or a home-fed diet...many will likely suggest a raw diet. But changing diets is one way to fight chronic ear infections, especially yeast infections.

You might say your dog has done fine on his current diet, but he's also older and as he ages, his ability to fight stuff like this weakens.

You may want to look at THIS PRODUCT. It may be more effective than the current product you're using.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My pet dog had a infection before. It cured itself :) Throat Cancer Symptoms
Throat Cancer

Is this a yeast infection?

Yes, a couple of things to know. Yeast loves carbohydrates, so if you're feeding a normal dog food, you can't starve the yeast. You'll want to explore a low-carb option or a home-fed diet...many will likely suggest a raw diet. But changing diets is one way to fight chronic ear infections, especially yeast infections.

You might say your dog has done fine on his current diet, but he's also older and as he ages, his ability to fight stuff like this weakens.

You may want to look at THIS PRODUCT. It may be more effective than the current product you're using.
Throat Cancer Pictures

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
There are typically 3 possible types of infections: Yeast (smells yeasty); Bacterial (smells pungent); and ear mites (dirty ears, not in all locations). Ask the Vet to help you determine which type. For a simple, external infection sometimes scrubbing the ears clean can leave the immune environment in the ear suceptible to infection. A healthy immune system and ear environment maintains a balance of good and bad bacteria/yeast hindering an overgrowth... similar to the chemistry on the skin. Allergies or a weakened immune system can result in an outbreak. Ask your Vet to explain the details.

You might search the Forums for 'yeast' b/c other folks have listed 'accepted' home formulas that sometimes help.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I agree with those who have suggested a food change. In particular, I would recommend switching to a grain-free food with no chicken, because that would eliminate most of the common dog allergens all at once. Something like Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain or Pacific Stream. It's an easy switch and IMHO worth a shot. This helped my dog's ears almost immediately.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I second the Zymox otic. I always keep some on hand. I would use a food that is white potato and grainfree. Here are some to research.

Darford Zero-both
Natures Variety Instinct-all
Canine Caviar-all grainfrees
Nutrisca-all grainfrees
Brothers Complete-all (available only by mail)
Back to Basics-all
Nutrisource Grainfree-all except the large breed chicken & large breed lamb
The Honest Kitchen-dehydrated, the Zeal only
Earthborn-Meadow Feast and Grain Plains only
Great Life-all
Epigen-fish
Nature's Select grainfree-all
Precise Grainfree-both
Avoderm-revolving menu only
Spring Meadows-all
Zignature-all
Nuripe-all
Victor grainfree-all
Evo weight management
Evo herring & salmon
Innova Prime-all
California Natural grainfree-salmon & peas, kangaroo & lentils, chicken
Horizon Legacy-all
Horizon Pulsar-both
Horizon Amicus-all
Grandma Lucy's Pureformance-all
Evangers grainfree-both
Sojo's grainfree-dehydrated-all
NRG-Maxim
ZiwiPeak=all air dried
DNA-all
Freehand-Energize only
Great Pife Pioneer Naturals grainfree-all
Red Moon-high protein chicken and moderate protein chicken only
Grandma Mae's Country Naturals-grainfree only
Pet Botanics-healthy Omega only

This is a large list. No offense but you're used to feeding a cheap food. These will cost you more. Some are not too badly priced (Nutrisource and Earthborn are two that come to mind) but keep in mind, if you curb the infections, you'll save on vet bills.
Also, I have a dog who used to have recurrent ear infections. He can only have turkey and fish for proteins. So, you may try one of these foods, if it's chicken or beef based, you may still have the infections. Mine is doing very well on Brothers Allergy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Repivz,

So sorry to hear about your pup :-(. After reading what you feed your dog daily, I have some advice! Non-holistic foods can cause ear infections due to the chemicals within them and food allergies. This is called Food Residue Syndrome. I highly suggest a holistic pet food diet. A pure and raw food diet can help cure and improve skin irritations, ear infections and build up their immune system. For future reference, you should take a look at Forza10's White Paper that explains everything caused by Food Residue Syndrome and what you can do to avoid it in the future. http://www.forza10usa.com/residues

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 12 year old dog had recurring external ear infections. Antibiotics and or hormones would work for a while but the infection would keep coming back. While at the vet someone recommended I use EcoEars. I tried it and it worked wonderfully in my dog. the infection hasn't come back in over a year. I think they sell at Amazon. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
did they do a culture on the ear to find out what is causing the infection? Cause in those rare cases the medication does not work. they can take a culture on the ear. send it to a lab and they run tests to see what will kill that specific bacteria. its very straight forward and accurate.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Cheap dog food is a common cause of ear issues (and a myriad of other heath problems). . .and 10-12 isn't really old for a Corgi. . .so you might want to reevaluate any thoughts about them "doing fine". A grain-free food would be best, or a well-balanced low-carb homemade diet.

Did the vet give any medications? Or did he just tell you to clean the ears out? I agree that an ear culture would be a good idea, so they can use the right antibiotic/antifungal. Without a culture, they're just throwing treatments out and hoping they'll stick :/.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts