Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Cash (10 weeks) started shaking his head a lot and scratching at his right ear. I took him to the vet and sure enough all that swimming caused an ear infection for the little guy! :( Have to keep this water loving pup out of the water for a week! They tested it and it was yeast and applied an ointment. Have to be rechecked in a week and they are giving me an ear oil to help keep out moisture when he swims. Anyone else had experience with this? Does the oil work any tips on helping this not happen again?

Oh and he gained a 4.2lbs since our last visit, 2 weeks ago, so that was a positive, 18.9lbs our baby is getting big fast!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If that is the dog in question in your avatar , you will need to take very good care of those ears or you will have ear problem all the time. Spaniel type heavy fold over ears are a breeding ground for all types of bacteria and yeast. They stay moist after being wet and do not dry out well. If you let those ears get in bad shape the ear canal will start to close up from scar tissue. Keep those ears clean and dry. If this is an inside dog it will be a little easier to check and keep ears clean. When I had Brittany's I would rinse the ear out with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol and then use something like an ear sock to pull both ears up to dry. You will get the hang of it fairly quick , and , feeding yogurt will help that yeast problem. Ask you Vet to show you how to care for those ears

oldhounddog

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Cash is my avatar picture. Thank you for the information. I had no idea that his kind of ear or any for that matter were prone to infections. I feel so bad that I could have prevented it. I like the ear sock idea to help dry them out, and home remedies are something I can handle up on. Thank you and will keep a close eye on it from now on.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Oh, yeah, those adorable flop over ears are problematic. My last dog had rose ears, so I had no idea, too. Kabota's had 2 ear infections in 6 months and now I'm cleaning his ears with white vinegar and water once a week. I also have the groomer clip away the fur around the inside of his ears to help with air flow. Any little bit helps, I figure.

My advice would be to start the cleanings as soon as the vet says it's okay (I don't know if you can do it while there's an active infection), because if you teach him to accept the cleaning while he's a puppy, it will be easier to do. I bribe Kabota still with lots of chicken.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If that is the dog in question in your avatar , you will need to take very good care of those ears or you will have ear problem all the time. Spaniel type heavy fold over ears are a breeding ground for all types of bacteria and yeast. They stay moist after being wet and do not dry out well. If you let those ears get in bad shape the ear canal will start to close up from scar tissue. Keep those ears clean and dry. If this is an inside dog it will be a little easier to check and keep ears clean. When I had Brittany's I would rinse the ear out with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol and then use something like an ear sock to pull both ears up to dry. You will get the hang of it fairly quick , and , feeding yogurt will help that yeast problem. Ask you Vet to show you how to care for those ears

oldhounddog
Yup, this is what I do especially after swimming and'or bathing..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes Cash is my avatar picture. Thank you for the information. I had no idea that his kind of ear or any for that matter were prone to infections. I feel so bad that I could have prevented it. I like the ear sock idea to help dry them out, and home remedies are something I can handle up on. Thank you and will keep a close eye on it from now on.
Good Luck taking care of those very special ears. Keep in mind the solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol, and, use after wiping the ear clean. I use a new plastic dispensing bottle (think ketchup) to squirt down the ear. then dog shakes out excess and the rubbing alcohol acts as a drying agent.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great tips everyone thank you so much! He is doing so much better already today, no head shaking and very little ear scratching. I can tell by his actions he feels better. Thank you again I will definitively be keeping his ears dry and clean from now on. Thanks! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts