Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hope I posted this in the right place (this is my first post)! Sorry if it's the wrong place! Anyway, we adopted a cocker mix several months ago and he's amazing. He's a great dog and our personalities match perfectly.

However, we've been having a huge problem with ear drops. He hates water to begin with, but now whenever he gets a bath he is so afraid of the coming ear drops, that he gets completely terrified.

Yesterday this issue really came to a head. He was more scared of the ear drops than ever. He was cowering in the bathroom and crying. We had to hold him pretty firmly and intensely to get the ear drops in, so that he wouldn't get an ear infection. He was fine after they were in, but since The Ear Drop Incident, he's been very nervous and tense. He didn't want to eat his food this morning and I ended up having to hand feed him. He even brought chewed his food in the other room away from us.

I think he was abused in his past (poor pup) and that compounds his cocker sensitivity. Anyway I was wondering 2 things:

1. If anyone has any ear drop tips for the ear drop terrified dog! He's fine with our fingers in his ears, so no ear infections yet (knock on wood), but the ear drops just are the scariest thing in the world.

2. If anyone has any good trust building to do with dogs! This Ear Drop Incident has really seemed to shaken his trust in us. He's still being affectionate, but he's noticeably a bit nervous and tense.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate any help anyone can give us!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Pinning him down to do it is going to make it much worse, so don't do that. A different product and approach might work much better for him, so the mouthwash in a small dish with cotton balls for example.... different feel, smell and so on. I think there are even ear wipes that are like baby wipes that you can use, stick one in, massage and take out. But take it slowly so he's not fearful of the process. If his ears are fine, then don't mess with them too much for now, wait and work towards being able to do so. Warming up the drops or something would work too, as would bribing him with a peanutbutter kong to keep him occupied. You can even smear it in the bathtub so he's licking that while you do his ears, starting with just putting him in to do the ears and taking him out. Use a bathmat so he doesn't slip....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Definitely warm the ear drops first. Cold eardrops are painful. You can hold the bottle under some warm/hot running water while swirling/turning the bottle. Shake it gently.

Desensitize him to the bottle. Go by steps, several times a day. Get leash and put on. treat. Have him sit with you on the floor, and treat. Release. Then repeat until not an issue. Then do the above, and pat ears, and treat. Release. Do that several times per day til no issue. Then add in folding ear flap back. Treat, and repeat several times per day. Then add in doing 1 ear, treat, release. Then do othere ear, treat, release.

I use a code word like "Relax", to get them to associate that with a treat, when I do whatever I am doing, right before I treat.

You can use this type of desensitazation for most anything. Works great for doing nail trimming as well. I had a dog that would panic if you even tried to hold her paw with nail clippers. Now, she'll come sit on the floor in front of me without a leash, and give me each paw to do.

Fighting them just doesn't work. The more times you can repeat a step of the behavior each day, the better it works.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I have the same issue. I can clip his claws and hit the quick with less repercussions. Clipping his nails is straightforward, but I have lots of trouble holding his head and getting the drops deep into his ears.... Plus I don't get enough drops, and they drip or ooze ... freaking him out that things are in his ears. My only suggestion is to get the Vet to patiently show you the technique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts