Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Haven't posted here much, but was reading through some stuff here and thought I could get some ideas!

I have a 6 month old great dane puppy who has his ears cropped. (cropped by the breeder at about 8 weeks). He is on a "show" contract and is supposed to be my first show dog. Well, I've been taping and taping his ears and his left ear has been standing for a long time. His right ear is almost an INCH longer and also probably about 1/4-1/3 inch wider that the other one. It generally stands for several hours after I take them down, then it will flop (not completely, but mostly). It really looks terrible and I am sick of putting him through these tapings, especially since due to the shape and weight of the ear, I don't think it will ever stand. I've had them down for almost a week now, and he can get it erect, but it will usually just sit like that for a second and then the tip will flop to one side or the other.

Anyway, I guess my question is...do you think there is anything I can do about it or is it a lost cause? Those of you that have any experience showing, do you think it will effect his overall show "career?"

I've had many danes before but have either adopted them a little older with their ears already done, or the ones I've had from puppies I chose not to crop, so this is my first experience with it. Though I do thing I was doing a pretty good job taping ;) just not sure there is much that can be done

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hi all. Haven't posted here much, but was reading through some stuff here and thought I could get some ideas!

I have a 6 month old great dane puppy who has his ears cropped. (cropped by the breeder at about 8 weeks). He is on a "show" contract and is supposed to be my first show dog. Well, I've been taping and taping his ears and his left ear has been standing for a long time. His right ear is almost an INCH longer and also probably about 1/4-1/3 inch wider that the other one. It generally stands for several hours after I take them down, then it will flop (not completely, but mostly). It really looks terrible and I am sick of putting him through these tapings, especially since due to the shape and weight of the ear, I don't think it will ever stand. I've had them down for almost a week now, and he can get it erect, but it will usually just sit like that for a second and then the tip will flop to one side or the other.

Anyway, I guess my question is...do you think there is anything I can do about it or is it a lost cause? Those of you that have any experience showing, do you think it will effect his overall show "career?"

I've had many danes before but have either adopted them a little older with their ears already done, or the ones I've had from puppies I chose not to crop, so this is my first experience with it. Though I do thing I was doing a pretty good job taping ;) just not sure there is much that can be done

Thanks!

Yiks!....I don't show so I have no idea what the "standards" are but even if the ear stands up....with them being so uneven do you think it would hurt his chances in the ring?

·
Registered
430 Posts
If he's on a show contract, contact your mentor and talk with them about what options there are to "save" this situation.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Are you giving him calcium supplements? In Cresteds, one breeder I know gives her pups Tums with calcium to help build up their ears.

Also, teething will make the ears floppy for a while as well, it should pass as long as he's kept taped thru it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think you need to keep posting - alot of dobes are posted up to a year or more with the longer show crop

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Definitely contact the breeder.

I would also keep taping, mainly because that is probably what the breeder will tell you to do; the more his ears are allowed to do their flippy floppy thing, the more of a chance that they will stay that way. Perhaps the breeder will help with getting them taped tighter, or something as well. I know sometimes you can stick something firmer in the wrap, to keep it trained higher, but I have not had to do it with any of my dogs; just seen it done.

Happy wrapping, and good luck in the showring!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Wow up to a year, I didn't realize that. The ear off can make difference in the show ring so perhaps you should continue like KelliCZ said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts