Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy had a very minor ear inflammation about 6 weeks ago and today is shaking her head. One ear had some soil in it but looks a bit red (not down in the canal area). I used some ear wash on a soft cloth and she does see the vet on Thursday for a booster shot.

Anything else you'd recommend I be doing? Scooter is 9 and had his first ever ear infection at 8. NONE of my other animals over my lifetime have ever had ear issues. Daisy's ears are long but don't lay down as much as the lab, more like fold into each other. I didn't find any ticks or other reason for her to be shaking her head (and she's REALLY shaking it when she does like a super itch).

As upkeep, is there an antifungal over the counter type stuff we could use? They're only outside for short periods of time and I'm always with them but it's very hot here and she runs and stirs up clouds of red clay.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She had a minor infection about 6 weeks ago and I still have loads of the med but I'm taking her at 9 a.m. to see Dr. Ponce. I noticed the one ear had some dark matter and it looked like a few 'bubble' type spots. She had a fungus earlier too. Anyhow, I want to figure out how to prevent recurrent ear problems. I didn't want to use the Blue Powder wash and the vet not be able to see. Also, someone earlier had asked a question about some OTC fungal meds and I can't find that thread.

She's getting a booster shot that was scheduled for Thursday night tomorrow at the same time. I did clean it gently with some anti fungal ear wash and a soft cloth and she's not shaking it but it's still bright red and has the gunk. Might be blood from mites or might be Georgia red clay mixed with sweat!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you read the post above this, you'll see her appt. is at 9 a.m. when they first open. They couldn't see her yesterday or I would have taken her then. The behavior started around 5 p.m.

TAKE YOUR DOGS TO THE VET? Scooter spent 2 hours and 45 minutes with Dr. Ponce this week (new vet and I've turned my old vet in to the state) and has a re check on July 29th. Daisy was there 3 weeks ago for her full check up and booster shots. Her appt. was for Thursday. I didn't think this could wait.

I thought the health forum was for questions like this. Excuse me if I misunderstood.

My QUESTION is, I want to figure out how to prevent recurrent ear problems.

She is NOT an outside dog. Her ears bend but are not 'closed' like my black lab. She's only 8 months old and I don't want this to be a monthly problem with her. Wondering what I can do to prevent fungus, bacteria, etc. I'm almost 64 and have had dogs my whole life. Until Scooter's ear infection last year, I'd never had a dog or cat with mites, fungal infections or bacterial type problems.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i meant go to the Vet immediately. i wouldn't wait untill Thursday. if my Vet couldn't see my dog i
would take my dog to the E-Vet. i've taken my dog to the Vet on short notice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K. We live in a tiny country town and the only after hours vet is the one who has overdosed my black lab and done some pretty weird stuff to my animals, so many mistakes that I reported him. I'm up extra early because it's 30 minutes to the new vet and I have an appt. as soon as they open. I did speak with the tech, Chainey, last night right before closing. Doc said I could either begin the meds I have on hand or if the shaking had stopped (which it had after I got some dirt out), we could just wait and check her first thing this a.m. I'll be there when they unlock the door.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
sorry about your bad experience with the old Vet. good luck with the new Vet. i hope your dog feels better soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doc said the left ear canal is red but the swab got nothing (mircroscopic evaluation neg) but because of the redness, we're treating with an antibiotic, antifungal drop 2 x's a day for 7 days then a re check. Also cleaning the ear every other day.

She suggested getting an ear wash with a drying agent. Anyone have a favorite? Like I said, ear concerns are new to us! She did not like the Blue Power formula. I copied it and took it in. I think the younger people aren't aware of what Gentian Violet does. I grew up with the stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
did you change the dogs food i have a doxie she is on a fish based food now and so far we are doing good if i take her off it which i wont do infection always starts in her ear

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. She's been on this food since day 1. She has one ear that is almost always 'up' and the other flops but doesn't lie down like on my black lab. The floppy ear is the one that she's had problems with. I'm going to find some ear flush with a drying agent like doc suggested and try to keep them extra clean. She doesn't mind me fooling with her ears tho the big dog won't have it!

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The Floppy ear might be "rosette" - half floppy and half up. Not important, but may be a useful term.

If a dog has allergies, that may encourage ear infections. Your ear wash sounds good, there are formulas that you can find online for ear washes, if needed.

Talk to the Vet, but be careful about 'overwashing" the ear. Like your skin and digestive system, a dog's ear has a balance of bacteria that prevent overgrowth of yeast or infection. Every other day should be enough to maintain healthy bacteria...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't know that about the bacteria. Thanks! The tech had said once it's all cleared up to wash once a week unless she'd been swimming or in the tub. We don't have a place to go swim or play in water.

No allergies that we've noticed but she's only 8 months.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Allergies are tricky things, my guy was totally fine and then suddenly he was scratching himself bloody and we couldn't figure out why. He had never been on different food and nothing in the environment had changed so it was quite a confusing process - turns out, he developed an allergy to chicken and grains.

Also, just to add to the ear stuff - does your dog have fluffy ears? Sometimes it's good to groom the ears regularly because that can also help to prevent infection. My guy gets ear infections, not super often, but we've seen them a few times, and I use ear drops that we got from the vet for his first infection. It's quite a handy little bottle actually, can be used for other things too! I don't remember what it's called, but it's white... LOL (I know, super helpful :p )

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No, but she does have some tufts of hair in her ears. I wondered if that should be trimmed.

I'll keep an eye on her. She had a hot spot after a bath at Petsmart. She's a cutie! It's always the left ear and that's the one that never stands up.

Table and Daisy 001.jpg

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I have had luck reducing yeast infections in the ear with probiotics. It was recommended to me by a dog show person and I figured it couldn't hurt and Watson hasn't had a yeast infection since. Not that he was horrible before, but he had two incidents as a puppy where his ears were a little inflamed and the vet had to proscribe drops. I don't even clean them anymore, but I do check them and keep the area clean of fur.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I assume the probiotics are sprinkled on the food? We take Daisy in for a recheck in a few days and I'll ask. She has loads of tufts of hair in her ears, under her chin, side of mouth and all her feet have hair like a Clydesdale horse! Her left ear is the ear that's been red both times and that's the ear that never sticks up. Even when both ears are down, the left ear is much more 'closed' than the right.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Yeah, it's added to his food. I always thought it was more of a digestive thing, but I'll admit that had hasn't had an issue in over a year since starting it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts