Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may know I've had alot of trouble in the food department...we've tried several premium foods and been met with diarrhea, gas, and weight loss...I'm currently feeding Purina One, and even though I don't love the ingredients, the dogs are all doing well on it.

Fast forward a bit...DH found a feed store last week and stopped in, came home with a bunch of dog food samples. I've been afraid to try them since I can't do a gradual switch with a sample bag, but I opened one up to use as treats, and lo and behold, it's the mystery dog food I've been trying to identify forever. Frosty came home with it in an unmarked container and they ate it for months and did great, but since his breeder dropped off the face of the earth I was never able to figure out what it was. It's Eagle Pack. I want to try it, but I'm afraid of upsetting their systems again. Thoughts?

Oh, and what's the price like on it?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Regular Eagle Pack or Holistic Select? Which formula? The prices on the "regular" Eagle Pack foods seem to be comparable to Purina ONE, the Holistic Selects cost more. About the same as....Canidae, maybe. Depends on the prices in your area, I suppose.

As for their tummies, well, you'll never know unless you try. But is it worth trying? Only you can know that. How bad of reactions did they have to other foods?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Regular Eagle Pack or Holistic Select? Which formula? The prices on the "regular" Eagle Pack foods seem to be comparable to Purina ONE, the Holistic Selects cost more. About the same as....Canidae, maybe. Depends on the prices in your area, I suppose.
The sample I opened is the holistic select anchovy something-or-other, but based on the online prices (I looked it up after I posted) I would probably start out with the regular...it was more than what I'm paying at BJ's (like Costco...I'm currently getting 44 lb for $35 of PO), but not out of the question.

How bad of reactions did they have to other foods?
It was anywhere from soft to explosive depending on the food, but the shelties have had this food before...blah, I just don't know.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would give it a try, especially since your shelties did so well on it before. If it doesn't go well you can always switch back to Purina One.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i have had a good experience with eagle pack holistic select duck meal and oatmeal for my doggy that had soft serve poopies all the time. my sister is a GREAT success story on the same food. her older lab was gassy, pooping mountains, over-weight, and shedding like crazy. she is now eating less than before, having less/smaller poops, no more gas, losing weight, and is barely shedding!! my sister said she has beautiful silky fur now (she is a lab x).

i paid a little more ($6-7) for the largest bag than i did for the largest bag of canidae. but, i am in atlantic canada, so prices here are much higher than pretty much anywhere in the states.

good luck with it :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
We, too, have used many hi-end dog foods (Core, Orijen Sr., TOTW, etc.) and Eagle Pack Holistic Select is what works best for my 3 dogs. I use the Anchovy dry, the Senior dry, the duck and the lamb dry. I also use their can food. They love it and are doing great! Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Eagle Pack Holistic was pretty much the only kibble I could feed for a while (read: the whole bag) without Kim having some sort of reaction to it...I like it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Eagle Pack Holistic is very good. When I am on holiday, and when I leave for college, that is what Spunky eats. I've tried a LOT of different kibble with her and this is the only food that doesn't trigger off her allergies too badly. It's also pretty affordable.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I like Eagle Pack Holistic a lot. We were feeding EVO and Beau and trey were having some issues. I had heard great things about Fromm so we switched and they did fantastic. But Fromm is hard to get here and the feed store ran out so we got a few samples of Eagle Pack holistic duck and oatmeal and they did just as well on that as they were doing on the Fromm. The Eagle pack also seems to come in bigger bags and is cheaper at least here. So we switched to that and I'm very pleased. All our dogs are doing well on it and even Summer will eat it. (One of only 2 kibbles I've found she'll eat) She wouldn't eat the Fromm and was still on EVO.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, thanks guys. I signed up on their website for coupons. I'm gonna start mixing it in with this bag of PO. I swore I wouldn't change foods again, but I liked this food before and was excited to find it again, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
To the OP: first, gorgeous dogs!
Second, I've used Eagle off and on for years and it's always in my food rotation for at least one of my dogs. I've only used the holistic select mainly because I prefer a food without corn, I've used the chicken and the senior care. I like the senior one because they have a higher protein, I think it's 26% and if I remember correctly, Eagle was the first company to do so (have a higher protein senior diet).

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Eagle Pack is a good food. My dogs never had a problem with it. Did you say your were feeding kirkland (costco) dog food previously? If you compare the ingredients they are very similar. I have fed all varieties duck and oatmeal, anchovies and sardines, chicken and I fed my puppy their large breed puppy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts