Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know which one to buy... Plastic? Soft? Inflatable?
Mom picked one up last night from a vets office (didn't have time to stop at a pet store) and it's still too small for Jojo. Supposedly it's a '12.5' and he's still able to lick his granuloma on his back leg. The one we borrowed from a family member is also too small.
I'm thinking he's a medium but I keep reading that their not "true to size" at least at Petsmart. Than again he's only 12 pounds and his neck size isn't very big only about 9.5 inches snug. I don't want to have an issue where it's too big on his neck and just slides off.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Soft and inflatable are highly unlikely to stop the average dog from licking a back leg. Inflatables are good for upper body and sometimes spay area. Soft are OK for semi supervised and less determined/focused dogs.

For knees, back feet and bum or tail, most will need a hard plastic cone. Get one the dog can see through to its less stressful and one with snap/push type closing so you can take it on and off. Most one from vets are the cheaper and more basic kind but require more steps to remove and replace and break with repeated use. I attach it to a quick release collar using ponytail bands (the coated rubber bands for people's hair) that I loop into the ecollar and slide the regular collar through.

I have the PetSmart collars. You can either take the dog into store to try one or use a measuring tape but I have 2 sizes and both are basically true to size

·
Super Moderator
2,932 Posts
I agree with Shell. The inflatable donut-style collars are pretty much useless for keeping a dog away from their limbs, especially in a long-legged/long-nosed dog. Sam could get around the hard cone too - he had a growth removed from a front paw. Our solution was to put the paw in a sock, then wrap a ring of medical tape (not tight enough to cut off circulation, but snug) around the top of the sock. Yes, he could pull it off with some effort, but it gave us an extra layer between his tongue and the wound and so we had time to catch him and redirect his attention when he started bothering the injury.

If it's higher up his leg, I've also seen this solution:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked the PetSmart employee and recommended the hard plastic cone I got a size large and it works and isn't too big on his neck either. I was going to buy also the soft cone for at night once he settles down but it was about $45 If I had no other option I would buy it but since the plastic cone is working there is no need to. I did look at the inflatable kind and apparently they can pop if the dog is too rough. His granuloma is high on his back leg. If he finds a way to lick himself with the cone I'll consider putting a sock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.