Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
What an idiot.

I don't know what he was trying to accomplish with it. He zaps the dog repeatedly, and I can't for the life of me figure out why? "Sit" ...zap(...the dog was already sitting, as it had been the entire time)... "sit." again...zap, zap, zap....I am assuming the dogs chest twitching was the response from being zapped. There was one point where this trainer went 'button' crazy, and it appeared he zapped the dog multiple times asking for a 'sit'(and again, the dog was already sitting).

He never gave the dog a chance to think about what he was being asked. Demanded, and almost simultaneously zapped him again.

I turned it off at 6:50...I couldn't handle watching anymore. Especially when they asked the 'owners' what their thoughts were...and that they thought it was 'great'.

And how exactly was this dog 'fetching'?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
*ROFL!!!* I got a private message on youtube from Hassen himself!!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
It's not even worth sharing xD It's basically a criticism on a video I posted almost a year ago on Strauss' retrieve over the high jump (a new exercise for him).

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
It's not even worth sharing xD It's basically a criticism on a video I posted almost a year ago on Strauss' retrieve over the high jump (a new exercise for him).
Let me get this straight in my mind (sometimes hard to do) The force retreiving expert on youtube with the sit on chair Rott send a criticism on a video you had on your Strauss dog retreiving over a jump. Xeph say it isn't so, if it is so I would think you would be as happy as a bedbug in a motel. A criticism from the "Hassen" himself would mean to anybody knowledgeable that has watched his work would put you on the opposite side of the spectrum in dog work. I cannot think of a better place to be.

Edit
This could also mean since dog work like anything else is a program that you get better at the longer you work at it. The "Hassen" was a year dumber.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The part that made me the most angry about this video was where he supposedly was proving the dog was NOT afraid of it by having the dog holding the remote, He then reached into the dogs mouth to zap the dog while the dog held the remote. How could anyone look at this and justify this behavior to an animal? It was fairly early yesterday I watched it and I am still angry about it. This man needs to be locked up. IMO Then to top it off I read another article about a Rottweiler killing another child. I kept thinking how that poor dog on the chair will probably someday do some damage to someone as well. It will be deemed a horrible dog but look at what it has had to endure. Using e-collars on a dog like seen in that video can really only accomplish one thing. A dog so afraid to do anything. They will be a bundle of nerves and what is the most dangerous dog??? A dog that is afraid. Yup, Sorry folks, I am still angry and sad. :(

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I do agree Inga.

And yes wvasko, it IS so! He told me he'd stick to his methods, as he wouldn't tolerate a "refusal like that" (I'll even post the video if you like xD).

My dog was "corrected" by simply not being rewarded for refusing the jump. I called him back and sent him over again (he LOVES to retrieve, so for him, not being able to pick up the dummy is punishment).

Here's his video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BW5VdhMA6w

He goes AROUND the jump the first time. I told him "aus" and called him back. The second time I sent him over, he did as asked, and I reminded him to take the jump BACK by telling him "Hopp!" We hadn't been at this exercise long, so I was overall happy with his performance. He still hadn't chained things together. And was his return straight? No. But it was enthusiastic! He dropped the dummy, so I simply stuck it back in his mouth (with no fight, notice) and things were fine.

New exercises are not expected to be flawless. Heck, I don't expect fully trained exercises to be flawless! I expect them to be performed to the best of my dog's ability. No e-collar necessary :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I do agree Inga.

And yes wvasko, it IS so! He told me he'd stick to his methods, as he wouldn't tolerate a "refusal like that" (I'll even post the video if you like xD).

My dog was "corrected" by simply not being rewarded for refusing the jump. I called him back and sent him over again (he LOVES to retrieve, so for him, not being able to pick up the dummy is punishment).

Here's his video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BW5VdhMA6w

He goes AROUND the jump the first time. I told him "aus" and called him back. The second time I sent him over, he did as asked, and I reminded him to take the jump BACK by telling him "Hopp!" We hadn't been at this exercise long, so I was overall happy with his performance. He still hadn't chained things together. And was his return straight? No. But it was enthusiastic! He dropped the dummy, so I simply stuck it back in his mouth (with no fight, notice) and things were fine.

New exercises are not expected to be flawless. Heck, I don't expect fully trained exercises to be flawless! I expect them to be performed to the best of my dog's ability. No e-collar necessary :)
Xeph
Oh my doG that makes his Rott video even more ludicrous. Having seen some bodacious Sch3 occasionally take a shortcut and do silly stuff, of course these are the same type dogs that have happy tails and look great while doing the work as the robots that never make mistakes are just that, robots. I had a GSP that always had a full gallery when being run because he was always full speed and stylish on point and even being force broke to retreive (minus e-collar)did so in a timely happy manner. All this good stuff though had a price, it was the "you never knew when he was going to turn into an outlaw and be gone for 3 hrs price" I could have stopped this but I would have had to change the dog into a robot. What ever competition you are training your dog for any fool can produce a no style/drive robot. I'm not sure that the Hassen's of the world understand that type of work. It's my meager opinion that you do.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Xeph
Oh my doG that makes his Rott video even more ludicrous.
What makes me giggle is that because my dog refused the first time, he thinks his methods are better.

My dog may have refused, but I'm not telling him "Hopp! Hopp! Hopp! BRRRRING! BRRRRING!!!!" It is "Brrring!" for the send, and if I need to remind him to jump back because I see him veering to go around, it is one simple "Hopp!" and praise for correcting himself.

Frustrating as it is somedays, since I don't know what dog I'll get on that particular exercise, I too will take the dog with personality and spirit over the dog that performs exercises robotically.

I don't mind negative methods...with some dogs they are necessary/more effective, though I try very hard to clicker my dogs through things first these days.

I no longer concern myself with the criticisms of the world's "Fred Hassen's" because my dog refused on a NEW exercise that he didn't entirely understand. I won't shock my dog into fearful submission and obedience. It make take more TIME in some areas (read, most people are too freakin lazy to work through the issue), but in my experience, it's worth it. For teaching I try to keep things as positive as possible...for proofing, I will use negative reinforcers if I must.

I will just never understand (now that I understand myself), why so many people tell the dog what it did WRONG, but won't tell it what it did RIGHT.

The message I got (I had to read it again for a laugh):
I watched my many personal dogs retrieving in my videos, then watched your dumbbell retrieve. Thanks, but we will stick to what we are doing. We certainly wouldn't be able to continue to train dogs to National Championship levels, and get perfect scores with refusals like that. Good luck to you though, and it's great that you are happy with what you have. That's all that is really important. Whenever people knock things, I'm expecting them to come to the table with something better. Sorry, we will keep what we have. I'll keep my personal dogs.......thanks for the tips though.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts