Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a dyson vacuum! i was very excited to use it, however, my dog is not very happy about it. she is used to me vacuuming but AFTER i vacuum, she has been going into the newly vacuumed room and shell have an accident (pee). its only right after the room is vacuumed. she did it in three rooms now and i have no idea why. she has not had an accident for over a year now besides these incidents with the dyson. she has no issues at all with our old vacuum and me vacuuming.

maybe the dyson sucked up so much dirt/smell that she needed to mark it? i guess i am just asking for ideas on why she is doing this. i thought about keeping her out of the room for a while, but time doesn't seem to make a difference. the first time it was right after i vacuumed, while i was still vacuuming the other side of the room she peed on the already done side. the second time it was vacuumed in the morning when she wasnt even home - that evening she came home, was in that room and then peed. The last, 3rd, time the room was vacuumed 2 days ago, but the first time she went into that room since then - she peed (right before she went into that room, she had just been outside and peed a few times already too!). all three different rooms.

what could be wrong?! i bought the dyson to make the house clean - not create a bigger mess :(

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I suspect the Dyson Acquisition has nothing to do with the house breaking relapse. This was just coincidence. Dogs do not pee or poop on rugs etc. to "protest." They do it because they have to go to the bathroom.

Go back to house training 101. No letting her have any freedom in the house. Scheduled out times and feeding times. Crate when you can't watch her. Tether her to you. Crate when you vacuum. Never let her out of your sight. Food rewards and plenty of praise for going outside. Clean all spots with Nature's Miracle or other enzyme cleaner to remove odors to reduce her desire to go back and pee where she has doine it before.

BTW how do YOU like the new Dyson???

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, the new vacuum is awesome! the best part is that i dont have to clean the filter after every other use like with my old vacuum to get the best performance. i know she isnt really 'protesting' but i just call it that. i'll just keep a closer eye on her and let her out for much longer before letting her access rooms that have been vacuumed. she does not do this in places that have not been vacuumed and like i said the last time she did it, it was right after she was just outside and went to the bathroom already.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have been looking at the commercials and wondering about how it works.

Of course if it makes the dogs and cats pi$$ on the rugs, I may have to rethink this.... :rolleyes:

Are you cleaning where she previously used the carpet with an Enzyme cleaner? That is real important. Trust me.. a time will come when she won't care if the room has been vacuumed before using it as a place to pee if you don't....

Another idea.. when you let her out to go, go out with her and when she potties, tell her good dog and immediately give her a dog treat. Never hurts.

PS: There are some folks who write on here with house breaking issues with their dogs.

If the Dyson can get a dog to pee in a room where it has been used, I wonder if it were used outside on some tight turf if it would get the dog to go out there?

Dyson may have a gold mine and not even know it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah for the price, its hard to believe a vacuum could be worth half a grand, lol. but i got one on sale from best buy last month for about 200 and its been awesome. i had a bissel before and it would work great - BUT to work that great i pretty much had to wash the filter every other time. the dyson has REALLY good suction. i've heard that on certain carpets itll suck those carpet threads right up so if you get one id get it from a local store so you can return it if that happens. i have not had any problems with it on my carpet though.

and yes i have been using natures miracle to clean up the spots and they dont smell afterwards

ill be going out with her to potty and making sure she empties all out before coming back in each time. i know it seems like coincidence but i really think its got to do with where i vacuum with the dyson. its three times already and she walked through plenty of carpet before getting to the room that was vacuumed. plus she is not scared of the old vacuum at all , she wont even move until im almost sucking a little bit of her hair with the old vacuum and shell take her time getting her toys out of the way. with the dyson though she keeps her distance a little more. i think maybe she is just getting used to it still cause it is different? she has seen other vacuums be used here though a few times and did not have the same problems with them.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
It may not be anything big. It may just be the look of the thing.. that ball arrangement is unique and Y4 the big price. And of course, they ALL sound a little different..

I paid pretty good $$ for a Sears Progressive canister and I use it a lot (dog hair and cat hair.. thank goodness I am the only human making human messes). It has a pretty good furniture pet hair pick up attachment (cats.. dog not allowed on furniture).

I have seen the Dyson on TV and it looks smart... and then I got to wondering how well it works, if the attachments are any good, if it has a pet hair pick up and all the rest.

When you wrote here of the added "dog peeing" feature I just had to build on it.... It's been a LOOOONNNNG week..... and I have another day to the weekend.. LOL

Good 4U and the Nature's miracle. Some dogs will relapse on house training on occaision. I try to periodically do the treats and praise run thru when the dog poops and pees outside to keep them thinking there is a good reason behind this. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts