Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a very durable, soft chew toy.

My pup (possible pit bull/terrier mix?? we aren't too sure) LOVES to chew all of his toys to complete shreds, and then proceed to attempt to eat the tiny shreds. However he only plays with soft rope toys, and doesn't seem interested in any rubber chew toys.

Would love to hear any suggestions!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hobgoblin and Freyja destroy everything. I do make fleece rope toys for them to tug with, they last longer than ropes and are safer. I make a square braid (four strands) and use clearance fleece so it is cheap. Just watch when he is chewing as you don't really want him eating that either. Braid super tight, or it pulls apart more easily.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't believe there are any durable soft toys if a dog wants to eat them. Zoey used to eat the rope toys and we stopped giving her them when we realized it was coming out the other end. Hard toys like antlers are very durable but could crack teeth, Zoey went through a couple of split ones and has had a whole one for a while ... She stopped chewing on it like she used to.

Our last dog would "kill" the stuffed toy and once deflated would carry it around forever. We would have to take it away from her because it would become really gross after a while.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Kong makes plush toys that have rope inside them. Not indestructible but way more durable then average.

Amazon has fair prices on them search for "wild knots"

·
Registered
17,901 Posts

My dogs have some of this stuff. They are HARD on toys, but these guys have lasted way, way better than anything else has. WAY better.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts

My dogs have some of this stuff. They are HARD on toys, but these guys have lasted way, way better than anything else has. WAY better.
One of my puppy pit bull fosters shredded that in less than an hour total...

IMO, there are no durable soft chews for pity or other determined dog types. There are less 'slower to be destroyed' chews.

For supervised chew and fetch, the Tuffy toys are pretty good along with the firehose tug toy, the west paw brand zogoflex which is sorta rubberish but sorta not and the kyjen toys are pretty good. All of them though can be chewed apart by a tough chewer but are strong enough to give you time to take the toy away if the dog starts to get pieces off it.

I would not give a rope chew at all nor a rope tug to a dog that will chew it. Too much risk in their guts.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yeah, admittedly none of my dogs chew. They very, very enthusiastically tug.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Yeah, admittedly none of my dogs chew. They very, very enthusiastically tug.
She shredded it during fetch and tug....

The cow hoof did go over well with that dog though.

Jw pets also makes durable products relatively speaking but most of them are rubber. Same with goughnuts, all rubber type chews.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
She shredded it during fetch and tug....

The cow hoof did go over well with that dog though.

Jw pets also makes durable products relatively speaking but most of them are rubber. Same with goughnuts, all rubber type chews.

Weird. I've seen Thud literally hanging off the ground by that thing and it doesn't have a mark on it. Teeth maybe? Dunno.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Bite vs chew. Chewing can grind through just about any fabric toy even if biting doesn't puncture it.
Oh yeah, for sure. I was just mostly addressing Shell's remark about fetch and tug. Thud doesn't really... chew while he tugs though. He latches on and hangs on. I know Bug sort of bobbles and tosses toys around in fetch and tug, though, so that might very well be it, too.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Weird. I've seen Thud literally hanging off the ground by that thing and it doesn't have a mark on it. Teeth maybe? Dunno.
Puppy teeth. She could grind her teeth on it enough while playing tug to shred into it. Which makes me think its a good normal tug toy but a bad chew toy.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
No such thing! I now frequent the clearance bins at the local pet store so I can get a bunch of toys for $1 each, knowing they'll all be gone if I let her at them for more than 5 minutes ;) Wasted too much money on $10 "durable" stuffed toys that didn't make it through a day or two. She doesn't like rubber or anything like that either.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Kris has finally reached the age where she does not immediately demolish her stuffy toys. I always checked at the Share Shed at the dump for free ones or picked them up cheap at Garage sales when she was younger. She would de-stuff them but never tried to eat any of them. She has just as much fun running around with the empty "carcasses" now. Always has to have something in her mouth even when we go on walks. She has some tuff rubber bones and toys but does not play with them very often. I use softballs (or maybe should call them baseballs) to play fetch with her but never leave them with her.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Cady had a fish like this. It lasted 3 days before she tore the middle out of it & took the stuffing out. It is now just the edges with a big hole in the middle & she still carries it around.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The tuffy stuffed toys are pretty durable, though I still have to take them away if he's really intent on ripping out the seams. They last much longer than any other stuffed toy I've bought. The different toys are rated on their website for durability - shapes without small bits sticking off are more durable.

Generally, I just pick up any toys that I know he'll rip up, and he can only have them when we are playing together. There's no such thing as a soft toy that can't be ripped up by a determined dog.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The kyjen toy lasted for a little while, Hobgoblin loved it. The squeaker died pretty fast though. I also have a killer whale made of neoprene but he is only allowed to play fetch with it (and squeak it a little) which keeps it alive longer. It has a ball in one end and squeakers, he did eat the fins off. I intend to get a few more of the kyjen toys when I find them for a good price, I won't pay $10+ for toys that will be destroyed in a week or less. I bought the first one for $4 on amazon and felt ok with that. Mostly we keep nylabones in the house and lots of food puzzle toys (that are put up when the dogs aren't actively eating because either Freyja or Hobgoblin will destroy them). I have been looking for other things they can play with, Hobgoblin enjoys things that squeak but he kills them and Freyja just systematically kills anything she can find. The chuck-it tug ball is a favorite but I have to watch for them trying to chew it too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts