Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Dumb Name?

6K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Jen D 
#1 ·
Hi!

We just got a golden retriever mix pup and don't know what to name him! We've got two names that we kind-of like but don't know if they are dumb sounding dog names. One is Brinkley, and the other is Breck. We live in CO, and love a ski resort town called Brekenridge, so that is where we got Breck. But does it really sound like a dog name? Which sounds better -- Brinkley or Breck??:eek: Help!!

#4 ·
Chose a name that fits your dogs personality. I like Brinkley but if your dog seems like more of a Breck to you then name it that.

#6 ·
Choose the name you like best. Whatever name is chosen, it should be a name that you pick. Don't let other people influence your decision.

People think I'm crazy for naming my little mutt, who's a cute toy dog, Buck. He's an adorable little guy with a tough name. He does like to buck authority though. ;) I've been told I should have picked a cutesy name, but I'll tell you right now that wasn't an option for me. I don't regret my choice, and neither will you if you make the decision on your own.

#7 ·
The name you choose for your dog should come from your heart not a dog forum. You live with the puppy and know his personality not the people here. You need to decide for yourselves what to name your dog. I personally always like names that are different so I think the ones you mentioned are really super, which ever one you chose.

Don't forget, you'll have 100 different nicknames for your puppy that you come up with as well. Sometimes you end up calling the dog by nicknames more than by the real name.

#10 ·
I like Brinkley because I prefer names with two syllables as opposed to one, it is not something I've heard of for a dog, and it just sounds great for a golden! It slightly reminds me of Christie, but I got over that fairly quickly, not that it's about me anyway!

#12 ·
Why choose a name? Just let a name happen :) Talk to him, interact a lot, and maybe when you turn to call him you'll find words just popping out that seem appropriate, though you never meant to call him that name. No, I don't mean that in a bad way lol. But I know for me a lot of the times a name just happens, regardless of best intentions.

#13 ·
They are both good names. I liked the suggestion to use both names. Over time you find which variation you like the best.
We selected names that if you think about it really are dumb, but they fit perfectly.
My husband I each wanted our own dog so he shopped around for his. I already had mine picked out. My uncle breeds pomeranians. I fell in love with the runt of the litter.
Anyway we brought them home on the same day one year ago. My husband has a boxer by the name of Samson and my pom is named Delilah.

They fit perfectly. She has the ultimate power over Samson.

Whatever you decide it will be perfect.

#19 ·
I don't like either. Breck sounds too much like a female name. And I don't like Brinkley either.

Maybe do a dog name search or more specific look up some golden ret. breeders and go thru some of their dog names - see if anything sounds good to you or something you can work with :)

I'd pick something with a vowel sound on the end "ee", "a", "o" are good choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.