Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Duke must be like a living doggy cat nip lol. Cats are just attracted to him and love him. Every one of our cats and foster cats we've had have just loved that dog. The funny thing is we almost didn't keep Duke when he first showed up at our house years ago because he chased our cats so bad and we were afraid he would hurt them. Then on the day we decided to keep him, he showed up with a little tiny kitten following him around. These two slept together, played together, and ate together. So we ended up keeping both of them after not being able to find their owners. To this day all our cats like to snuggle with him and play with him.

Panda didn't really grow up around Duke, just gets to go visit him on our breaks and every time he is just obsessed with Duke. He gets along great with Boomer, they will play together but they never snuggle like these two do.

Panda irritates Duke a bit though. When he is really happy he will chew on you and he does this to Dukes ears

First time he met Duke as a kitten

Maybe its his tail that causes cats to love him so much.. its like he has a built in cat toy

I rescued a litter of orphaned kittens over the summer and Duke took great care of them. He would take each one and lick them to bathe them every day. One kitten in particular would follow Duke everywhere.

And then there is Angel who lives with Duke. She is one of the cats we were afraid Duke would kill when we were debating keeping him. Obviously that's not an issue unless he were to squish her on accident lol

This is the kitten that he brought home with him. I wish we had gotten pictures of them when Jag was a little tiny kitten. He was around 5 or 6 weeks old when they arrived and I think this was taken when Jag was around 6 months old and both of them were healthy and fattened up finally. They were a mess when we took them in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Those pictures are precious. I wish my dogs and roommate's cat would get along. Kaida tries to herd her and Saint just grumbles nonstop when the cat enters the room.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Awwwwe ... Duke is quite the nurturer. :) I love the pics. The little black stray kitten that I found and also found a home for last fall was liked by all three of my dogs. Took me by complete surprise! The kitten liked them too! I couldn't keep the kitten ... I am too allergic and it would have had to live outside ... IMO that would not have been fair.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What a wonderful boy your Duke is. My boy Oliver LOVES kitties too but it takes awhile for kitties to warm up to him. He gets so excited that his teeth chatter so I can understand a cat not wanting to rush into anything there. ha ha Your boy must be very calm around them and allows them to approach first? I love the snuggle pictures. I think Oliver would be happy moving to your house with all the sweet kitties to play with.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a wonderful boy your Duke is. My boy Oliver LOVES kitties too but it takes awhile for kitties to warm up to him. He gets so excited that his teeth chatter so I can understand a cat not wanting to rush into anything there. ha ha Your boy must be very calm around them and allows them to approach first? I love the snuggle pictures. I think Oliver would be happy moving to your house with all the sweet kitties to play with.
Duke actually gets really over excited when he first meets cats too, which is why I find it so strange that all of our cats are so fond of him. I've had to quit taking him to the barn with me now that there are barn cats because he harasses them so bad. I guess 90 lbs of Duke is a little intimidating to a little cat lol. He only wants to play of course. He is very gentle and tolerant of cats though once he gets over the initial excitement and most of the time the cats come to him. He's a very gentle natured dog in general :)

Duke is a wonderful dog. So loving.

Here is a picture of my cat Pixel with our newest pups Desi and Lucy.

That is precious!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts