Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pug has started itching something fierce. It started with her just biting at her tail, then it became a spot on her hind leg, and now she just seems to be itchy all over. The vet said it looks like its just dry skin. (She does not have fleas or any other outside sources for the itch.) She told me to use some vitamin E oil to moisturize.
Well, she apparently will get an itch that produces such a furious scratching that she actually 'thumps' at the floor cause she scratches so fast/hard. Vitamin E nor baby oil gel - nothing topical really helps as she loves the taste of these things and promptly licks it off.
I use a gentle dog shampoo and brush her as much as she allows before deciding the brush is a chew toy! Out of desperation to help her I even used a super moisturizing conditioner on her during her last bath. This seemed to give some short term relief. By that I mean she was itch free for a couple hours.
Is there anything else I can do to help alleviate her itching? She drinks plenty of water, eats well without issues, etc. I feel so bad for her! There has got to be something else to fix this.
I welcome any advice as she is my first and honestly I am at a loss here. I mean, its not like I can give her a Benadryl and tell her it will be better in 20 minutes... lol
Thank you....

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
What's her diet like? She might have a sensitivity to something she's eating - maybe try a limited ingredient food that has a different protein and primary carb than her current food. You might also try adding a little fat to her diet, like a fish oil supplement, which can improve the skin and coat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She eats healthy for the most part- of course there's the occasional 'extra' but nothing so consistent to justify her dry skin. I love how playful she is and I didn't want her to get too fat like most pugs get and become lazy. I've been super careful with her food because of this as well as the digestive trauma she went thru early on. ( we were told she was 8 weeks old but were shocked to find she didn't know how to drink from the water bowl and she'd bleed when she went potty. The vet told us she was closer to 4 weeks old and gave us instructions how to care for her)
I will try the fish oil supplement though and hopefully that will help. Thank you for the tip!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts