Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet ANOTHER question for you experts! How do we get our puppy to drop things that she shouldn't have in her mouth? Bras, socks, skirts (that are ON MY DAUGHTERS!) etc... We are trying to tell her "drop it!" and kinda force her mouth open but I have a feeling that is not the best way... :confused:

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
For Obi I just put a treat in front of his nose as I said "drop it" and he had to drop the object to take the treat from me. And also I tried not leaving things out that I didn't want him to have so that it didn't happen a lot, and when he did have something I didn't want him to have I didn't run at him and scream and make a big deal about it, I treated it as if he had something that fine, so I'd just casually walk towards him while asking him in a happy sort of voice "whatcha got there?" and then reach down, put the treat on his nose and say drop it.

I would also practice this with his toys, so I would give a treat and then give the toy back to him. That way he learnt that he wouldn't always lose the thing he wanted.

For Pixie I taught her while I was playing tug with her. I would get her excited and tug, and then stop and say "drop it", and then just grab her collar so she couldn't tug and then wait until she got bored (you can also stick a finger in her mouth and tickle the roof of her mouth if she won't let go). As soon as she let go we started tugging and having fun again. Within two minutes she was dropping the toy on command, and then it just took a bit more practise with other toys and objects for her to generalise the command, and that was it.

I always practise it while tugging, so they get lets of practise and most of the time dropping the toy results in more play, so the command is fun for them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
^^^ THIS!!

When our girls were little we walked around with bits of treats on us pretty much all the time. This would be a good time to teach "leave it" as well. If you see her going for one of those tasty bits you don't want her to have you go over, say leave it, and distract with a treat! Don't force her it'll only make her balk, just hold the treat in front of her face and say drop it and tell her what a wonderful girl she is when she lets whatever go to get the treat.

Have you tried yelping when she gets ahold of something that is attached to you or your daughter, like the skirt? We acted like anything that was on us hurt when it was nipped at to teach her even though those skirts or socks or whatever it was are very tempting, they are not allowed.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts