Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is coming to visit for Xmas and boarding Tucker has gotten so expensive for her. I haven't seen him in sooo long so I want her to bring him. Only problem is, he's a 150 lbs. Great Dane/Rotweiler mix with the heart of a puppy (he's 3). He wouldn't last very long in the car. My sis is up for seeing if the vet can prescribe some sleepy medicine for Tuck, but her hubby said it would be hell on earth.

Anyone done this before? Tips? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hubby and I went on a 5 hour trip with our dog Belle last year. She did just fine....slept almost the whole time. Of course it took longer because we had to stop and let her out periodically....but overall it went fine.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I know of people who have given Benadryl but you need to check with your vet for amounts.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Drove to Maine for vacation last year with my dog. More than 8 hours. She was fine, but then she IS fine riding. We stopped for poo and pee breaks etc. She rode in the extended cab and would occaisionally give me a snuffle in my ear (to remind me of her being there).

If your dog is awful in the car, then that is a whole 'nother matter. I have never owned a dog that I did not teach to ride in the car quietly. Most of them could not wait to get IN the car.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It depends a lot on how well your dog handles car rides. We've made several 6 hour trips to my moms house with our dogs & they're no problem at all. We only make 1 or 2 stops along the way for gas & let them out then to potty. They're very used to riding in the car tho.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Yup, I believe it is all about how the dog handles the ride.

Callahan 146 lbs right now, has gone with us on 5-7 hour trips. Two were when he was a bit younger and at 110 lbs... in my 96 Firebird. The others have been in James' 99 Jeep Cherokee.

Callahan gets into the car and sleeps the whole way. Unless he gets a bit interested in what is going on at a stoplight from time to time, and he'll raise his head. Other than that... he truly SLEEPS the whole way. We have to wake him up to get him to stop for a potty break, which he's gone 2-4 hours without in all honesty. On a car ride he never NEEDS to go. Same goes for my smaller dog Guera.

It just depends on the dog. How is yours on rides? I believe if he gets restless... then it would be a definite problem and he might need sedation.
Nessa

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've socialized Rocky to car rides since he was a baby, and he routinely goes on 5+ hour rides quite often now. He even went with my father in his semi for a few weeks while I was in belize (14+ hours in a truck a day).

For a dog that size who isn't socialized to being in a car, I would imagine sedation would be your only option. I would be really wary of it on a dog this big though. Make absolutely sure you have the right dose.

Is it possible to crate him for the duration of the ride?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts