Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so silly writing this, but my 2.5-yr-old Aussie Terrier, Cobber, is a real water snob. He can be very thirsty, such as after a long walk or now that the air's drier as we head into cold weather, but if the water dish isn't just what he thinks it should be, he won't drink there. It's hard to explain because it's not just a matter of me cleaning out the bowl and providing fresh water - that's a given - but, for example, he woke me up at 11 last night because he was thirsty. So I cleaned and refilled the bowl that's in our bedroom (a stoneware bowl). He sniffed it but still wanted to go outside. Thinking he might have to do something else, I opened the door, but all he did was drink everything that was left over in the metal bowl on the back porch. So the issue wasn't freshness, it was... something else. And I don't think it's simply stoneware vs metal, because he had a long drink from a different stoneware bowl that's in the kitchen after he ate dinner. Honestly, I can't figure out why he likes some water (or maybe it's the bowls he likes/dislikes) and not others.

Anyone else have a fussy drinking-water dog? Or is this just my luck with the weird dog? :whistle:

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The only funny behavior from my dogs is that Watson will not drink out of a public/shared water bowl. Even if it is clean and just been filled, it still smells like other dogs and he will sniff it suspiciously and then walk away. He's fine with sharing with Hazel or our friends' dog. I can't really blame him for not wanting to drink out of a bowl that other dogs have slobbered in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe it was cold and that is what he wanted. Have you tired adding ice cubes or getting a fountain? My GSD always liked the outside water better, she too would beg to go out and then drink from the metal dish outside, she'd pass up 3 other dishes inside. Now my Great Dane is similar. She likes the outside water or running water from a faucet, normally the bathtub. She will drink from the bowls if you just change it. Sometimes she'll walk from bowl to bowl and sniff each one. We did get a fountain for her, but the cats seem to use it more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All my dogs and cats have preferred to drink water outdoors, be it from a big bucket or a puddle. Doesn't matter if it's rainwater or fresh from the tap. I guess it's just more interesting/exciting to be drinking outside than inside.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Have you tried pouring her water from one of those filtered pitchers from the fridge? Between it being colder and having a better taste, it might convince her to stop being a goof about water. Maybe you could also try water with mint or cucumber, and only keep it in that particular bowl in your room. The nice thing is both will benefit you, too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder if the issue isn't a matter of "freshness" from the tap but a matter of smell. Tap water usually has a lot of additives in it (e.g. chlorine) that can give the water an off taste. I don't have my dog's keen sense of smell and I personally would prefer filtered water over straight up tap water because it taste/smells better. Standing water usually isn't as bad once some of the chemicals have a chance to evaporate off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone! His preference for the water outside would definitely point toward cold (last night was pretty chilly out) vs the tap water I got for him from the bathroom which was probably luke warm even out of the "cold" tap. The water that he drank outside was from the exact same tap, but it had been sitting outside chilling, so I don't think it's the tap water itself.

The way our house is laid out, no, I'm not going to trudge upstairs to the kitchen for ice cubes or fridge-filter-pitcher water in the middle of the night (I wouldn't even do that for myself). I will try to leave more water outside at night, I guess. Either way it's a PITA because he demands to go out, drinks and goes right back to sleep but then I'm up, even just to open the door a few steps from the bed, and can't get back to sleep for 2 hours. The whole reason for the bowl in the bedroom is so he can get his own dang water during the middle of the night, but obviously it's not quite up to snuff for His Highness ;) Anyway, thank you all for the answers! I think the key here is the coldness of the water.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks, everyone! His preference for the water outside would definitely point toward cold (last night was pretty chilly out) vs the tap water I got for him from the bathroom which was probably luke warm even out of the "cold" tap. The water that he drank outside was from the exact same tap, but it had been sitting outside chilling, so I don't think it's the tap water itself.

The way our house is laid out, no, I'm not going to trudge upstairs to the kitchen for ice cubes or fridge-filter-pitcher water in the middle of the night (I wouldn't even do that for myself). I will try to leave more water outside at night, I guess. Either way it's a PITA because he demands to go out, drinks and goes right back to sleep but then I'm up, even just to open the door a few steps from the bed, and can't get back to sleep for 2 hours. The whole reason for the bowl in the bedroom is so he can get his own dang water during the middle of the night, but obviously it's not quite up to snuff for His Highness ;) Anyway, thank you all for the answers! I think the key here is the coldness of the water.
You could buy a "hydro flask" water bottle and store some water in there at night, maybe? We have a few and used them to store hot coffee on a Saturday morning for guests. Over 24 hrs later and when we opened them the following day, coffee was still hot enough to drink. Keep it and an empty bowl by your bedside and maybe you can fill up the bowl with refridgerator-cold water from the bottle when your dog starts pestering.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota will not drink tap water. No matter how thirsty he is, he simply won't drink it. This dog will eat literally anything, so he's otherwise not picky, it's just tap water. So I bought him his own Britta and I keep a 6 pack of bottled water in the closet for emergencies.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great idea on the thermos, and actually I have been toying with the idea of a dorm-size fridge for the downstairs. Maybe I should push that plan forward and keep water in there for the dogs. It would be easier and warmer than having to bundle up and open the door to the yard to let Cobber out and back in once the really cold weather gets here. Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I never meant to get up in the middle of the night for ice. Just thought you could try to add ice to the bowl before going to bed and see if that helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never meant to get up in the middle of the night for ice. Just thought you could try to add ice to the bowl before going to bed and see if that helps.
:) Believe me, if the situation were reversed and we were sleeping nearer the fridge than the back door, I'd go for the ice cubes during the night vs letting Cobber outside. I realize you have no idea what the layout of my house is and wanted to help, and I very much apologize if I sounded pissy in my reply! I'm annoyed with my dog and his middle-of-the-night neediness, not anything posted by anyone here who's trying to help me out. Thank you for the suggestion, and it has definitely added to my thoughts about getting a downstairs fridge.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
None of my dogs will eat out of metal bowls, plastic, ceramic, fine but metal, nope, they wont drink out of them, either LOL. My boy was neutered last tuesday and he wouldn't drink with the cone on for two days, I just waited him out, and finally, he sucked it up and drank, it is now a couple of days until he gets his stitches out and he now drinks normally, cone or not.

Sometimes, a little touch love is in order.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Our dogs drink from an empty plastic folgers coffee container LOL (after it was soaked overnight and cleaned out of course), it's the perfect size and it gets cleaned out every day.

I am glad I am not the only one whose dogs wont drink or eat out of metal bowls, Lincoln doesnt like them because he can kind of see himself in it ... dork LOL.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sheena will always, 100%, without fail choose toilet water. Every time. She WILL drink other water though so I don't have any advice. I would be a bit inclined to think that if a dog is thirsty enough they'll drink, but risking dehydration isn't worth it and also knowing he's thirsty is terrible too.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I have a metal water bottle and it makes the water taste like metal. It's high-quality stainless steel and isn't supposed to make the water taste funny. . .but it does. It's not even really a taste I could even describe, maybe it's more of a feeling or whatever, but I just don't like water from a metal bottle. So I always figured it was the same for dogs/cats who don't like metal bowls.

Cats supposedly prefer glass/ceramic water dishes, but even though I have several glass/ceramic water dishes for them, they all want to drink out of the dogs' big plastic water dish. Cats are weird :p.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Nearly all of the dogs I have owned are/were never particular about their water source. Ponds, mud puddles, stock tanks, etc... I have had dogs that the more nasty the water was the better they liked it.

The biggest water pain I have right now... Pyro... HAS to knock over every water bowl he encounters. If he is thirsty... He will drink what he wants then dump it over... If he is not, he just dumps it over... He cannot abide water being in a bowl. It MUST be dumped... I have cleaned up more water since May than I have in the rest of my life I think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts