Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drinking/peeing alot MOST of the week *UPDATED*

Koda since september has been drinking/peeing alot off and on ( like 1 or 2 days of normal drinking)
Im not sure if he just likes drinking or if its an underlying issue ( Im so scared to find out)

I thought it might of been a phase, but im going to make a vet appointment this week.... However there is an outbreak of kennel cough. Should I wait?

Food: Proseries
Eats after 6pm

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
excessive drinking and peeing can be signs of diabetes or cushings. Get a vet check w/blood workup. Can you go to a different vet, or will vet go out to your car and draw blood, so you don't have to bring him in?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
excessive drinking and peeing can be signs of diabetes or cushings. Get a vet check w/blood workup. Can you go to a different vet, or will vet go out to your car and draw blood, so you don't have to bring him in?
Well the kennel cough is all over the city, im going to call the vet this morning on her/his best thoughts on the KC situation.
Besides cushings being basically to much hormones and what not, what exactly does it do to him? if you know that is

edit: vet at 1:45 tomorrow.
Wish us luck!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Cushings is caused by the production of too much cortisol. Cushings left untreated can cause blindness, heart problems, and immune sysytem problems.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Feeding really high protein foods can also increase water consumption/peeing. The kidneys just have to work a little harder, but it generally is harmless in dogs with no medical problems. Just wanted to give you a possible scenario where it isn't something to worry about. But good, that you are getting it checked out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feeding really high protein foods can also increase water consumption/peeing. The kidneys just have to work a little harder, but it generally is harmless in dogs with no medical problems. Just wanted to give you a possible scenario where it isn't something to worry about. But good, that you are getting it checked out.

Thank you for that little spot of hope :) ( his pro-series is 26% by the way )

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Good luck with your vet visit ... wishing you well and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe he is just eating too rich of a diet.

Please keep us posted on Koda. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck with your vet visit ... wishing you well and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe he is just eating too rich of a diet.

Please keep us posted on Koda. :)
Thank you :)

We will be leaving in a few hours and the nerves have started already ....lucky he has no idea whats going on.
I told them about what I potentially wanted tested, I wasnt instructed to fast him for bloodwork or anything is that normal?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATED:

Diabetes free!! :D so happy!
Getting a urine sample sometime the week to bring in, also I never got him tested for cushings however when i bring in the urine, i'll see if she'll do it just in case.
She did tell me if it was cushings, theres nothing I can do for him that would really prove a point?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Great news! I am glad that is ruled out for sure! :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
UPDATED:

Diabetes free!! :D so happy!
Getting a urine sample sometime the week to bring in, also I never got him tested for cushings however when i bring in the urine, i'll see if she'll do it just in case.
She did tell me if it was cushings, theres nothing I can do for him that would really prove a point?
Cushings is treatable, in that there are drugs that reduce the amount of cortisol produced, so it minimizes/eliminates heart damage caused by excess cortisol, etc. You can't CURE cushings, but you definitely would want to treat it to minimize damage. If the dog ends up having cushings and your vet doesn't suggest treating it, you need a new vet.

Cushings is normally diagnosed with a blood workup/symptoms/ruling out other diseases, then a dex suppression test/ACTH test.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cushings is treatable, in that there are drugs that reduce the amount of cortisol produced, so it minimizes/eliminates heart damage caused by excess cortisol, etc. You can't CURE cushings, but you definitely would want to treat it to minimize damage. If the dog ends up having cushings and your vet doesn't suggest treating it, you need a new vet.

Cushings is normally diagnosed with a blood workup/symptoms/ruling out other diseases, then a dex suppression test/ACTH test.
Thats what I went in understanding, and also what she said :) But apperently most of the medician does more harm then good :S
I'll wait until friday, right now we know nothing beside the fact he likes water and doesnt have diabetes.

Quick question!
Koda is sending in a urine sample, it needs to be the first pee in the morning. Do I store it in the fridge until i can get to the office that day?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Thats what I went in understanding, and also what she said :) But apperently most of the medician does more harm then good :S
I'll wait until friday, right now we know nothing beside the fact he likes water and doesnt have diabetes.

Quick question!
Koda is sending in a urine sample, it needs to be the first pee in the morning. Do I store it in the fridge until i can get to the office that day?
yes..........

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So today koda had his urine checked (clear of anything bad! ) and blood work plus a CBC
Abnormal counts in his blood work
It had something to do with his liver and fat in the cells, she explained it over the phone but i was sobbing...alot.

So the CBC was done, and looks like it had to do with a meal he ate the last 24hours...
She cant figure out the peeing and drinking thing tho so ill recheck his liver next month just in case.

After a long week at the vets, test after test, pooping in the vet assistants arms after this mornings blood work and $300 later.... Koda just likes water. HAPPY :D :D :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yeeea!!! I am glad to hear this. :) It is a tough thing to hurry up and wait ... especially when it concerns a loved one.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeeea!!! I am glad to hear this. :) It is a tough thing to hurry up and wait ... especially when it concerns a loved one.
Me too, I must of cried for a good hour after the call just to get it out of my system LOL
I wish most if not all people understood why animal lovers get so upset when our voiceless loved ones are sick...or possible sick.

Thanks for all the support!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts