Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 105 degrees in Texas, so Shep, my Lab-GSD mix likes water fresh from the faucet by way of a cut off piece of hose. The light green circle is a bowl of water.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I love it! I love the photo too! :)

My dogs are not fond of the hose ... Benny was fond of it and still is ... but I taught him as a young puppy that it was a fun thing. Eddee drinks from the bathroom sink faucet if you turn it on for him. :/

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I throw him a handful of water, he'll catch it! We do this every afternoon, when we return from the early evening walk... and it still may be 100 degrees. He can guzzle like a camel... and 3 hours later it comes back out :)

Retrievers and water!!!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Love it! Tank LOVES playing in the hose. bentley-hates it. I have to go somewhere but if you dont mind I will share a pic of Tank when I get back :D

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
haha Jubel will always prefer the flowing water if it's an option except with the hose. He runs like hell from the hose. But loves the doggie water fountain in the park, if you pour water from a jug/bottle into a bowl he'll try and drink as you pour. Not sure if his dislike of the hose is from the first baths I gave him in the yard with the hose or he just doesn't like the hose... he tolerates getting a bath in the tub so not sure why the hose is so 'evil.'

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terrific! Poor child will be confused when he grows up and squirts a dog ... that isn't a retriever ! :)

I guess I need to take more pix!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My retriever mix HATES hoses. She doesn't even like to step over the hose tubing if she can hear the water running inside it. She regards being squirted with a hose as a form of torture. The other day I had to rinse her mud feet off with the hose before we went inside and she tried to run away in a most indignified matter. She won't even drink from a squirt bottle, let alone a hose or water fountain. I don't know if she just doesn't understand the concept or if it's related to her general suspicious world view or what. She can't help being a fussy little lady.

All this is to say I LOVE pictures of dogs drinking from hoses. So cute!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My dogs drink from water fountains,too :D

bentley is to short ,though to stand on his legs so he climbs up the back of it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Leann loves a good hose drink. She almost becomes obsessed, biting, jumping and chomping at the water that comes out. Pure fun in a tube! But if I move it away from her mouth, and hit her elsewhere, she'll run away.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Nice photos!! I see she prefers the hose over a bowl...Tank is the same way :D Does Shep take after more of the Lab traits?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton INSISTS on drinking from the watering can with every single plant I water. He walks from plant to plant and drinks as it pours. I'll have to take a pic sometime, it's really cute.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lol! Not my dogs ... But Eddee will certainly drink from the bathroom sink when you try and wash your hands! :)

I love those pics of his face while he is drinking! And you know ... it just amazes me how young he looks!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Kechara is my only dog that goes crazy for the water hose, if she's not trying to bite the water she is chasing it. My other two don't appreciate getting sprayed.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
These pics are awesome :)

I've tried to get Wally to do it - he's uncertain about it. He'll put a paw on it (his default "what the heck is he sticking this thing in my face for?" response LOL)

He'll drink the water from a thermos as I poor it out into my hand. He'll try to drink the water from my glass as I try to sip it (ugh!) But a hose? Nope.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think retrievers are born preferring a hose :) Altho we believe that Shep is a Lab-GSD mix, he has mostly Lab traits - happy, friendly, energetic (even at 11 yo), chewing (and swallows!), happy to 'submit' for a belly rub, runs like a short-body Lab, rather than like a GSD, loves water and cold. However, he's not goofy, he doesn't like to play ALL of the time like a Lab. He seems to have a sharper intelligence, like a GSD; and he looks at the people in the cars, which I think is an observational trait of a GSD (altho the interest may be more like a Lab). [ He is an independent thinker. He has a thunder-phobic tendency that I think I caught when he was young. And, he has an 'aggressive' tendency when punished... which I caught when he was 9 -10 weeks old, and it's the reason I began using very gentle methods. I think these are GSD traits.]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts