Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caeda has pretty short hair, but despite this I'd love to be able to blow her fur dry after a bath, especially when winter comes around again. Right now she barks at the hair drier and runs away from it if it is pointed in her direction even from 4 feet away. :(
Any pointers for desensitizing her to this?
Also, I've seen several vacuum grooming tools on the market that I'd be interested in using (especially when she sheds in the spring). Are these any good? Is desensitizing her to these the same as for the drier? Pointers anyone?
I only wish I could use these on the cats but I have a funny feeling that would mean losing a lot of blood lol. If I can at least keep Caeda's fur in check I'd be happy!

·
Banned
92 Posts
When i bath the boys i let them do a really really good shake before i towel dry them. never really needed to bow dry them as they get most of it out before i even get to them for drying. i did blow dry one of them once, just had the dryer on low and cool, we have a radio on when it is bath time, and kept giving the calm words we use. seemed to work fine. I have been wondering about those vacuum fur things also, i have tried everything and even though my boys have very short fur they still shed and it is nice to keep a handle on it, especially in the spring before a visit to a friends house.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Leash and cookies. Start with it on and pointed away from the dog in question. My dogs tolerated the blowing better on the rear than the front or feet. When I got the little HV I desensitized the dogs for about a week before giving them a bath. At first cookies are for less freaking out, later for great behavior and last for the pretty well groomed dog.

I gave up using a human dryer on Sassy as it took forever and you aren't supposed to use heat on a dog's skin. Even the little high velocity dryer took half an hour to get her just damp. If I stuck to it blowing her completely dry she wouldn't shed for a week or so, it got out lots of loose hair. If you got an HV dryer it would do both jobs and definitely dry better than a human air dryer. Pricy, my biggest grooming tool purchase, but it works as planned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts