Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 8 week old mutt she can sit, stay, come, drop it, leave it and almost has a few others. But I can't seem to find a good way to show her how to lay down or stand every time I try she go's back to sit. I was hoping someone could share a good tekneek with me. I tried repeating the motions while saying the commands for a few minutes a day but she will still only sit. This is my first puppy as an adult, and she is doing real good for her age, so it must be me I must not be making it clear for her. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
There are a couple of ways to do this.

Luring:

Down -- When she is in a sitting position, take a treat and move it from her nose down towards the ground. She will likely follow the treat and lie down. When she does, deliver the treat. Don't add the word "down" yet. Keep practising with the food lure for awhile. Gradually, over a few training sessions or a few days, make the hand signal (of your hand moving down to the ground) less pronounced. So, for example, you may start by moving your hand from her nose all the way to the ground. After a few repetitions you may only need to reach out your hand and move it down for her to lie down. After a few more repetitions of that, you may only need to reach out and move your hand downwards very slightly for her to get it. As you start fading out the hand signal, you can start adding the verbal "down" cue.

Stand -- Ask for a sit. Then, take a toy or another piece of food and wave it in front of her, far enough so that she can't get it in a sitting position. The minute she stands up to get the toy/treat, give it to her. Likewise, don't start saying "stand" yet. You want to start adding the verbal cue only when it has meaning to her, ie when it can be attached to a specific action that she recognises and can perform. After a bit of this, during training sessions she will start offering the behaviour on her own. This means that she will start giving you different actions to see which one will earn her the treat. She may sit, come, lie down (if she knows it) and then she may stand. The minute she stands, reward her.

The other way to do it is through behaviour capture. You will most likely need a clicker for this, and the clicker will have to be "charged" (she will have to know what the clicker means). Behaviour capture works like so: you wait for your dog to lie down or stand up on her own accord, just as she's going around the house. When she does, immediately click and treat her. She will eventually get the idea that when she lies down or stands up, she gets rewarded, and she will start offering the behaviour at training sessions. When she does, you can further reinforce the behaviour, and as she starts offering it more reliably, add the verbal cues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, They are perfect just what I was looking for I will be trying luring her tonight. she really a wonderful pup and will be an even better dog and deserves every bit of attention I can give.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Down -- When she is in a sitting position, take a treat and move it from her nose down towards the ground. She will likely follow the treat and lie down. When she does, deliver the treat. Don't add the word "down" yet. Keep practising with the food lure for awhile. Gradually, over a few training sessions or a few days, make the hand signal (of your hand moving down to the ground) less pronounced. So, for example, you may start by moving your hand from her nose all the way to the ground. After a few repetitions you may only need to reach out your hand and move it down for her to lie down. After a few more repetitions of that, you may only need to reach out and move your hand downwards very slightly for her to get it. As you start fading out the hand signal, you can start adding the verbal "down" cue.
I've had no luck with this method. We're still working on the capture method or an alternative. I've noticed, he doesn't seem to do the "down" position naturally very often. He tends to go from standing to sitting to layed out flat on the floor (or curled up in a little ball a.k.a. the "leave me alone, I'm trying to sleep, silly human!" position)

Stand -- Ask for a sit. Then, take a toy or another piece of food and wave it in front of her, far enough so that she can't get it in a sitting position. The minute she stands up to get the toy/treat, give it to her. Likewise, don't start saying "stand" yet. You want to start adding the verbal cue only when it has meaning to her, ie when it can be attached to a specific action that she recognises and can perform. After a bit of this, during training sessions she will start offering the behaviour on her own. This means that she will start giving you different actions to see which one will earn her the treat. She may sit, come, lie down (if she knows it) and then she may stand. The minute she stands, reward her.
I've not had luck with this method, either. What has worked -- or is working -- is that I sit on the floor by him, then get up and move backwards and say "Up!" and he follows.

I think part of the problem is I've been working hard with him to be patient and not lunge for food/treats when I have them -- and that training is overriding the times when I want him to follow. So, I'm having to use myself and his never-ending curiosity about where I'm going as the "reward." But, we're getting there. :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I've had no luck with this method. We're still working on the capture method or an alternative. I've noticed, he doesn't seem to do the "down" position naturally very often. He tends to go from standing to sitting to layed out flat on the floor (or curled up in a little ball a.k.a. the "leave me alone, I'm trying to sleep, silly human!" position)

I've not had luck with this method, either. What has worked -- or is working -- is that I sit on the floor by him, then get up and move backwards and say "Up!" and he follows.

I think part of the problem is I've been working hard with him to be patient and not lunge for food/treats when I have them -- and that training is overriding the times when I want him to follow. So, I'm having to use myself and his never-ending curiosity about where I'm going as the "reward." But, we're getting there. :)
Are you clicker training? Have you tried luring the down?

What I would do for the stand is to stop saying "Up!" and just entice him towards you. Crouch down, pat your knees, whistle, squeak a toy... but don't add a verbal cue. The other thing is to make sure you are doing all this close enough to him that it doesn't become training for recall. The minute he gets on his paws, click! and treat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luring the down has started working so I thank you for the suggestions, the stand did not once I have her in sit she won't move until I say OK, or more than almost a full minute has went by and I have walked away. I think I will need to get a clicker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts