Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Advice needed!! I have a 1 year golden retriever, she is well trained, potty trained, sit, shake, walking on a leash, no barking in the yard, ask to go outside etc.. I recently moved in with my boyfriend who has an extremely untrained corgi. The corgi will pee and poop in the house, is aggressive 24/7 towards my dog, barks constantly: when outside, when I even touch my dog, when I move a muscle…. Food aggression… you name it!!! He’s rude, aggressive and just an all around jerk in general. My problem is that when I asked my boyfriend to discipline his dog for all the above mentioned items he doesn’t, he takes it out on my dog and she is not causing any of the problems. It’s a one-sided lecture and his little corgi just gets to continue to be rude. I mean quite frankly I’m not going to allow him to continue to treat my dog in this manner and boyfriend gets extremely upset and angry when I point out that he should by directing this to only his dog as he’s the one causing the problem. I am starting to hate his dog. I want nothing to do with him. Partly because at this point he’s so untrained that I fear he will become aggressive towards me if I tried to correct it. And partly because in my boyfriends eyes his dog has done no wrong so I am the one who’s wrong for correcting in the bad dogs behavior. Any suggestions on moving forward?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You must realize this is a people problem, not a dog problem. For me, if someone was taking anything out on my dog, I'd be out of there. For that matter I wouldn't live with a dog that wasn't house trained. Puppy during training, sure. Old or sick dog that can't help it, sure. But simply tolerating an adult dog that isn't housebroken? It's a redline for me. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Are you wanting training advice or relationship advice? If it's the former, I would try doing some simple basic manners training using positive reinforcement. If it's the latter, I would say that you need to seriously consider if you want to stay in this relationship, as it will likely only go downhill from here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts